Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing brake calipers

magnum3456
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
I need help on how to install new front brake calipers on a 96 S-10 4WD Blazer. Can someone give me instructions start to finish including how to flush out all the fluid? Thanks.

OverBoardProject
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
magnum, if you don't mind me asking, What's wrong with your calipers?
The do go but not all that often.

The job is actually pretty easy, but I'd have to see them to tell you how to do the job. There are just so many different setups out there.

Flushing out all the fluid is a 2 person job. And the back might be a little tough since the bleaders are often sunk in (from the factory) so you need a thin walled socket to loosen them up.
Fill up the master cylinder then start at the furthest wheel from the drivers seat, so if your bleading the back start with the pasanger side rear.
Get your helper to step on the pedal, and then crack the bleader. When the fluid stops running tighten the bleeder, and tell them to pump. When they have pumped it up again they should hold the pedal down and tell you holding. Then you crack it again, and tighten it again when all the fluid (or air) exits.

Keep on repeating this process until the fluid runns clear or the air's all out. You can actually hear the air excaping.

The move to the next furthest wheel.
Wish that we lived in the same city. It's easier to show you than explain the job to you.

magnum3456
05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
When putting on new brake calipers...should the new caliper, with pads already in, slide right on over the rotor? if not...how do u get it to go over the rotor?

OverBoardProject
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
The pistons must be pushed all the way in, and then they should just slide over the rotor easily.
If they don't then you probably have the wrong pads, which I have seen happen more than once

Add your comment to this topic!