Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Stalling out

boosted91
05-23-2006, 10:40 PM
My girl has an 89 Eldorado and I can't get it running right. Came out to the car one night after driving for a while and it wouldn't start. It started fine the next day, but stalled on the way home. The spark was weak so I replaced the cap ( toasted), rotor, plugs and wires. Still have the same problem. I changed the fuel filter and pump the other night, but the car stalled after running for 15 minutes. I can hear the pump kicking on and all the fuses are good, but the fuel comming out of the injectors seems intermittent. It will spray good at first, but then kind of tapers of untill nothing is coming out. The resistence on the injectors is 1.9 to 2 ohms, and the book says 1.13- 1.36. I've changed enought stuff already and it hasn't made a difference, before I change the injectors I want to know if they are far enough out of whack to cause this problem. Any other suggestions?

maxwedge
05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
There may be dirt in the injector screens, pull em out have new seals ready and take a look. Also should check the FP, could be a bad FP regulator also.

DFBonnett
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I think you want to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what you have, both static and running. Also note if the pressure drops just prior to stalling. You may have a failing pump, or as noted previously a bad FPR. That you can check by pulling the vac hose off of it and see if it's leaking gas.
You mentioned weak spark. Have you checked it since you replaced those parts? Satisfactory now?
FWIW
YMMV

boosted91
05-25-2006, 12:16 AM
I check fuel pressure today and it stays at 12-13psi the whole time ( supposed to be 9 - 13), even after it stalls out. No vaccuum leak to the FPR, and spark seemed fine after I changed everything out. Also the resistance on the injectors doesn't change as the car warms up. Always stays at 1.8-2 ohms. The car doesn't bog out either, it just shuts off.

DFBonnett
05-25-2006, 06:07 AM
After it stalls out, will it always not start back up right away? Does it need to cool off before it will restart? Can you duplicate the stall condition just idling? Do you have spark immediately after a stall? Sometimes a bad ignition module will act that way as it heats up.
FWIW
YMMV

boosted91
05-26-2006, 12:50 AM
After it stalls, it wont start back up. It will crank over, but no fuel is being sprayed, and there is still spark. It will do it while it is just idling, I do not have to be driving for the problem to occur. Fuel good, spart good, no fuel from injectors, wont start. Does anyone know how to check for a signal to the injectors? Or how to test to see if the computer is bad? It is not throwing any codes either. I cleared them before I tried to start it again, and it didnt throw any after it stalled out. It has to cool back down before it will restart. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I cant find anything soon, I am going to order a rebuilt computer. It is the same price as buying one injector locally, so I figure why not.

maxwedge
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
A noid lite plugged into the injector connector will check for pulse from the pcm, check for 12v at the connector first when it won't start, remember the ign module signals the pcm to pulse the injectors.

lilrogue78
06-15-2006, 04:07 PM
is there anything that can be used in place of a noid lite by any chance? i dont really have the cash to go buy more stuff like that

DFBonnett
06-16-2006, 11:14 AM
No. You nned the noid light. I know you said you have spark. Get the ignition module tested anyway. Inspect the wiring inside the distributor.

Add your comment to this topic!