Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Not sure what year this is

VW Super Beetle
05-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi, I'm the proud owner of a new Super Beetle. I'm not sure what year it is as the previous owner does not have a title, nor does he know what the VIN number is. He did show me the following plate:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/polaroy2/bc681274.jpg

But I'm not sure what information this gives me if any... I'm currently looking to find the VIN on this and any help locating it, plus decoding it would be nice!

BoatCop
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
That plate is from a 1972 Type I.

Your VIN is 1122120189

You can also find the VIN stamped into the top of the tunnel under the rear seat. You'll probably have to scrape away a bunch of gunk to get to it.

VW Super Beetle
05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks! I spent two hours last night looking for a 10-digit VIN decoder .... Came up with the same results. However, I couldn't find if it was a "beetle" or "Super Beetle" How do I find that info. out?

BoatCop
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Just look at it. :D

The Super Beetle has a wide hood at the bottom. Kind of like this:

\__/

The standard beetle is more pointed:

\_/

Other basic differences is the position of the spare tire in the trunk. In the Super it lays down flat, and in the Standard it is upright.

The biggest difference is the front suspension. The Standard Beetle has twin torsion tubes going across the front and standard shocks. The Super uses a McPhearson strut system.

VW Super Beetle
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
After talkng to everyone online and IRL, it looks like this is indeed a 1972 Super Beetle... All I need to do now is get a replacement title, and tow her home... Should be fun...

Add your comment to this topic!