Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01' Rodeo transmission question

weathermedic
05-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Is it possible to have too much fluid in the tranny? I had the tranny serviced at the dealer on Friday and when I got home, I noticed the drain and filler plugs were leaking. I tightened them myself. I did some driving over the weekend and noticed the tranny slip once. I was unable to check the fluid because these trannies don't have dipsticks (who's the genius that thought of that?) Brought it back to the dealer today, and told them to check the fluid. The mechanic has it up on the lift and decides to put a different type of filler plug (allen wrench type with a rubber gasket) just to be on the safe side. When he pulls the old filler plug out, I noticed the fluid pour out of the tranny. According to the Haynes repair manual, you are only supposed to fill the tranny until the fluid just starts to come out of the filler hole. The mechanic then proceeds to pump MORE fluid into it before he puts the new filler plug in. I figured he's the mechanic, he knows what he's doing. On the way home, I felt the tranny slip once. I said to myself "enough is enough" so I crawled underneath and loosened the filler plug to the point where the tranny fluid just trickled out (after it poured out for a bit) I then took the truck on a test drive and no slippage.
I was just curious if anyone has ever heard if having too much tranny fluid can cause some slippage.

Jason in NYC

amigo-2k
05-22-2006, 11:30 PM
CHeck the FAQ's. I think you are suppose to check the tranny fluid while it is warm, and while the engine is running.

What is your history on tranny fluid changes?

weathermedic
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I have 60k, never had the transmission serviced/flushed until Friday. The mechanic had the engine running when he checked the fluid and pumped more into it. I also had the engine running when I let the excess fluid drain out of the filler plug hole.

Jason in NYC

amigo-2k
05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
60k is a bit long to wait for a flush. Many folks here would advise to drop the pan if you are past 50k instead of flushing.

These tranny's like flushes every 25-30k. Search here and the FAQ's on issues of waiting to long between flushes.

weathermedic
05-24-2006, 01:06 PM
My bad. The pan was dropped, new gasket installed, new fluid put in. All at the dealership.

Jason in NYC

Ramblin Fever
05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
60k is a bit too long to wait. But if you've never towed or done any extreme mountain driving, I personally wouldn't fret too much. Constant stop/go driving can be rough too, but hopefully your servicing helped.

*sometimes* when you change the transmission fluid in a higher mileage tranny you can get slipping because the old fluid was holding things together, sorta-speak; hopefully it doesn't continue.

And in another 5k miles or so, drop a bit more fluid out and replace with new over the course of the next 10k miles or so. As dropping the pan only replaces 5qts of new fluid, mixing it into 4qts of old fluid remaining.

Add your comment to this topic!