Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

give it to me straight, doc.....

sinfestboy
07-25-2002, 06:17 PM
ok, im lookin at a supercharged GS-R..... I would do all the work myself.... Im still thinking of what kind of sc I want.....

ok, so give it to me straight, how much would it cost to have a safe 250 supercharged hp in a GS-R.... Not including price of the car...

stefan525
07-26-2002, 10:19 AM
This is what I think.

Jackson racing super charger = $3500
Head rework with dual spring and new valves = $700
Forged pistons and rods = $700
Clutch stage 2 or 3 = $500
Lighten flywheel(optional) = $350

These are about prices, you might find them lower if you shop arownd. But this is the big picture. You also have to think about changing your timing belt and water pump while you are at it, which is another $100. Plus a bit more here and there if you want to upgrade something else. Just remember you push more air in your fuel has to be raised. The JR SC will come with new injectors and fuel pump but you might want to think about getting a VTEC-AFC for another $350. To built an daily driver SC GSR with a good 250 HP you will have to spend about $5000. If you have the money do it. I have a GSR eng. in my civic and want to go all motor, but I might sell my GSR eng. and get a Type R eng since the Type R comes with all the port and polish and the head with the dual valve springs and polish. Well good luck, keep us informend. Stefan B.

b16a3sol
07-28-2002, 05:51 PM
i thought the JRSC was meant to work with a stock motor. all that other stuff you mention isnt necessary, just stuff you could do if you want. i dont understand the headwork that you want to get done. you arent getting new cams or revving any high, so that seems to be a waste of money. the forged pistons and rods are also unnecessary since the JRSC was designed for a stock motor. the clutch also does not need to be done. all of those uprages which were mentioned other than the SC system itself dont need to be done right away. it will also be able to reach 250, or at least something close, without too much trouble. i would suggest taking a look at vortech also. their numbers are a lot better, and i hear the SC itself is a better system. the only drawback is that its not as user-friendly as the JRSC, meaning you will have to spend time tuning to make sure the motor doenst get fucked up. good luck.

stefan525
07-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Yes you can use the Jackson Racing SC with the stock motor, internals and clutch. But they will have to be done sometimes. Why not do it all at the same time and not have to worry about it, and have your car down for a few days every time you have to upgrade one of the components? :confused: Remember the stock GSR eng. is rated at 170 bhp and you want to take it to 250bhp that is a dif. of 80bhp so you will have to run a little bit of boost than normal. Just ask yourself a questione, do you want to spend the time and do it right, or do you want to just slap on the SC and have to go through lots of headaches later on when something is going to brake and have to spend the money anyway, and might have to fix something else in the proces since you didn't do it right at first. Well all I can do is give my advice and I think that is what "sinfestboy" was looking for. "A safe 250 supercharged hp in a GS-R.... " So have fun and good luck. Stefan525

GSteg
07-29-2002, 09:54 AM
over 8psi, i would definately get some better clutches. upgrade fuel pump, injectors, MSD ignition box upgrade, new coil, some iridium spark plugs, etc. instead of getting that pistons and rods, use the money on a hondata engine management system. if you can tune that unit correctly, new rods an pistons aren't required yet.

headwork is a plus in cars. they allow more air to come in, increasing the power of your engine. its like a turbo for N/A cars.

[QUOTE] i would suggest taking a look at vortech also. their numbers are a lot better,{/QUOTE]

true, but you won't gain the powerband like the JRSC. if you have seen a dyno on a vortech, you'll notice that those big numbers come at the top end. in drag racing, you'll want power from the midrange too, not just the top end. notice why the vortech civic Si with 264whp ran only in the 14's? plus, you get low end torque for city driving.

OG20
08-01-2002, 03:53 AM
yeah, vortech numbers seem to be better than the jackson... if you pick up a copy of the june/july copy of honda tuning, they got a pretty informative article on the vortech... if u missed that issue, they were able to get 245 hp and 161lbs of torque at the wheel... pretty damn good for a direct bolt on kit... they did'nt really do to much to the internals except putting in headers, exhaust, ACT clutch and LSD... pretty damn strong if u ask me

peace

GSteg
08-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by OG20
yeah, vortech numbers seem to be better than the jackson... if you pick up a copy of the june/july copy of honda tuning, they got a pretty informative article on the vortech... if u missed that issue, they were able to get 245 hp and 161lbs of torque at the wheel... pretty damn good for a direct bolt on kit... they did'nt really do to much to the internals except putting in headers, exhaust, ACT clutch and LSD... pretty damn strong if u ask me

peace
the only thing is that it adds power almost just before redline. it doesn't help much because you're only at redline for just a second or so. you'll want power to be in the midrange, since the RPM bounces back to the midrange after being shift to the next gear. they do crank out numbers though:)

stefan525
08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Well like I said, if you want a safe 250hp gsr for a daily driver than is a good idea to built your motor now so you don't have to do it later on. But like we all know a GSR with a SP will not be driven nice and slow. I can tell you that you will red line it a few times put stress on the car and the motor. It will also be a good idea to upgrade the axles and if you have the money put in a LSD. The Type R LSD are about $400.00 on ebay. I have an LSD upgraded axles and a GSR with H/I/E in my civic and I plan on getting the Type R cams, but if I do the cams im going to change to the dual valve springs and get new valves and seats. So it's up to you on what you want to do, all I can do is give my 2 cents. Good luck. stefan525

Add your comment to this topic!