Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with body lift

csparks78
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
OK here is the scoop.... One of my buddies, new to wheelin and Jeepin' bought a 99 Tj and he got a 3" body lift off ebay.... the prob. is he doesn't have a susp. lift to back it up. This will look funny as hell with only 33's right?? I'm trying to talk him out of it until he gets a susp lift too, but being the kind of guy I am I will help him put it in if he decides to go with it. What kind of tools/jacks do you need to install it, and are they hard to do?? I haven't done one yet. Thanks for the help!!! Cliff

o|||||||o
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
OK here is the scoop.... One of my buddies, new to wheelin and Jeepin' bought a 99 Tj and he got a 3" body lift off ebay.... the prob. is he doesn't have a susp. lift to back it up. This will look funny as hell with only 33's right?? I'm trying to talk him out of it until he gets a susp lift too, but being the kind of guy I am I will help him put it in if he decides to go with it. What kind of tools/jacks do you need to install it, and are they hard to do?? I haven't done one yet. Thanks for the help!!! Cliff

A 3" body lift on a TJ is a bad idea. A 1" is the most I would recommend. A 3" is going to be a PIA. There are a lot of little things getting in the way that make it tough. On top of that they look like CRAP when they have that much body lift!

csparks78
05-22-2006, 11:36 PM
A 3" body lift on a TJ is a bad idea. A 1" is the most I would recommend. A 3" is going to be a PIA. There are a lot of little things getting in the way that make it tough. On top of that they look like CRAP when they have that much body lift!

I agree!!! Its not me thats doing it, and I think it will look stupid especially without a suspension lift to go with it, but if he decides to go with it - Ill help him, do you know what Ill need for it??? Any special parts, tools, big hammers lol ???

Kuhn
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm new to Jeeps and all I know if from what I've read in this forum... Pretty much everybody agrees that a 3'' BL is a horrible idea, but not only because it looks funny. It would require that lines be extended and stuff... basically it's a lot more difficult than a 1''BL... Try to talk him into getting a 1''BL and some 2'' Spring/Shock spacers. I know this isn't what your looking for, but it's my :2cents: I think it'll be difficult to find someone that's put on a 3'' BL.

Kuhn
05-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Serch this forum for " 3'' Body Lift ". Somebody did this and had an issue... Give it a look.

wilwith1l
05-24-2006, 07:03 PM
I've done two 3" BLs(not on my rigs). 1 YJ and 1 on a 1978 Chevy Luv(which turned out to be the only time i will suggest a 3"BL. It's super easy if you get a complete kit. All you do is unbolt the chasis, and (in sections) jack it up, throw in spacers and bolt it down. Then you extend your lines & fuel neck, drop your radiator, adjust your T-case shifter, and you might need the sawzall to use some gears. Don't forget the gap guards, and only use Grade 8 bolts, no matter what the kit comes with.

Add your comment to this topic!