Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Avalon cv axle RH side

jlukens
05-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I am having issues with the removal of the right side cv axle on a 97' Avalon. I have removed the axle from the hub, removed the snap ring bearing retainer, and removed the lock bolt on the bottom of the axle bearing housing. I have gone as far as using a slide hammer to try and remove the axle and it is now in two pieces. The only other option I have is to remove the bottom rear motor mount that the axle bearing is housed into to try and remove the rest of the axle. Am I missing a key step to remove the axle easily or am I pretty much screwed? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.:banghead:

rejackson
06-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I am having the same problem with a 2000 avalon. Once the snap ring and bearing bolt are out it should slide out. BUT NOOOOO. It doesn't want to work that way. I thing the bearing is stuck in there. Did you ever resolve it?

jlukens
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I am having the same problem with a 2000 avalon. Once the snap ring and bearing bolt are out it should slide out. BUT NOOOOO. It doesn't want to work that way. I thing the bearing is stuck in there. Did you ever resolve it?

Yes, I did resolve the problem. I called and spoke to a Toyota tech and he said that they have problems with the bearings getting rusted into the motor mount. What I had to do was support the motor and remove the three bolts to the mount. Once you remove the three bolts you have to raise the engine up far enough to turn the mount bolts out and away from the engine cradle. Once the mount was loose the axle came out as it should have. I took it to work and put it in a press. It took about 8,000 pounds of force to get the axle out. The bearing shattered into about a dozen pieces but it came out. Once the axle was out, I took a die grinder with a buffer pad and polished the inside of the mount where the bearing slides into. The new axle went in with no problem. If you have any other questions or problems feel free to ask. Jon

Add your comment to this topic!