Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Grand Am PO300 code!!!!

Mikey198108
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
My sisters 02 Grand Am has been running bad for about a month. idles decently. But when I tromp on it from a dead stop, it dogs for a bit then starts to accelerate, all the time spittin a bit. Took it to Advance auto and it spit out a PO300 code wich is random misfire. Replaced plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition control module, but not sure. We don't have a lot of money so i don't wanna replace things i don't have too. PLEASE Help!:shakehead

GTP Dad
05-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Welcome to AF!!

First of all, is this a V6 or 4 cyl. Secondly, you replaced the plugs but not the wires or connectors it you have a 4. The wires or connectors are as common an issue as the plugs at causing misfires so that is the next place to try. If that doesn't help then the ignition module would be the next items or the coils. Check a local wrecking yard for both. You should pay about 1/4th the price and get a good one that will correct the problem.

Mikey198108
05-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Oops! Forgot to say 4 Cyl. The wire are actually boots and they are all conected to the Ignition coils and control mod. It is a 260 part. Told I cannot replace individual parts. All 4 plugs were replaced but are already black. I can do basic work but am limited in the tools and finance departments.

GTP Dad
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Actually that is not correct. Go to Rock-auto.com and search for your make and model year. The boots are only about $4 each. The housing is $45. That doesn't include the coils or ignition module. The coils are about $45 each and the ignition module is what is expensive at $182. So try the housing and boots to see what happens. Check the local wrecking yard for other parts as you can get them at a very reduced price.

Add your comment to this topic!