Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

K & N Filterchargers..

eti engineer
05-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Hello all,

Got a quick question....

I have heard all kinds of things about K & N Filterchargers. I have one with the cold dam on my truck and have never had an issue with it. I have a Granetelli MAF sensor behind it and I have cleaned and oiled the filter unit only once, taking care not to overdo it so I didn't mess up the sensor. It has been good -- a helluva lot more free breathing than that old original air intake, and the cold dam has provided a very good place for me to mount the brains of my Jacob's Pro Street ignition system and keep it cool.

But I keep hearing stories how the filter does not adequately filter incoming air and leads to early engine rebuilds due to wear from particles in the airstream.

Does anyone have any definitive information from a reliable source on this??

Later..

eti engineer

OverBoardProject
05-21-2006, 02:38 AM
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

dmbrisket 51
05-21-2006, 04:21 AM
nice page obp

eti engineer
05-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah, obp, I like the page, too. But having been an technical instructor for decades, I often tell my students, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...

You two have a good day and I will check out the link and get back to you..

Later..

eti engineer

eti engineer
05-21-2006, 10:38 AM
OBP,

That was a very impressive link, especially from an engineering standpoint. How did you run across it? I especially liked the part where the statement was made that the trucks being looked at would have to be super-modified to flow the amount of air some aftermarket filters claim. I guess a lot of people would never think about this. The original Chevy setup just seemed to be restrictive, and since I didn't have anything better to spend my money on that day, I bought the K & N. Of course, to assist in the flow, I have changed the exahust system too.

The only advantage I see to the K & N in my case is that it does have a cold dam separator which helps pack a cooler charge into the cylinders, but looking at the graphs, it would appear that I need to maintain it more often than K & N claims to keep the efficiency up. And like I said, the cold dam provides a nice place for the brains of the aftermarket ignition system.

Thanks for the link and have a good one, whatever it is...

later..

eti engineer

OverBoardProject
05-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Someone on a fishing forum posted the link a while ago. I had posted it on this forum at that time, so I knew just where to look.

I just like the fact that they weren't sponsored by some big company making big claims.

I hope that you have a good weeked as well

Add your comment to this topic!