Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hit the curb sideways pretty hard...stuff bent

Roboctopus
05-19-2006, 09:15 PM
I have a 99 v6 accord, and I hit a curb sideways on the front right wheel. I took it to a shop for an alignment, and they said how the wheel has been pushed backwards in the wheel well by about half an inch, and the wheel slanted is 3.7 degrees outward. So there are any number of bent parts involved. So they referred me to a frame shop for further diagnosis.

After the curb incident, the car pulls to the right very hard, and I have to turn the wheel left to keep going straight. Visually, the wheel isn't very slanted but I guess 3.7 degrees makes a difference.

My question is, has any one else hit a curb sideways, and what happened?

The frame shop said the sub-frame cradle is bent, and needs to be straighened along w/ some other parts. Also, is it possible to bend/deform the radius rod? (that's the shaft that attaches into the sub-frame cradle).
They gave me an estimate of $450 to have everything straightened and aligned, and if you replace the subframe they estimated ~$900. OUCH!

nitebeest
05-20-2006, 02:36 AM
I did that when I used to have a Jeep. I was leaving work one night and the roads were wet and when I turned the corner to leave my Jeep drifted into the curb. I busted like 12" of the bead off of the rim and bent the Lower Control Arm and the frame arround the LCA. And on top of that my steering wheel was shifted as if you took your normal steering wheel perfectly straight and turned it 90º to the left... that was straight. I didn't have to hold it like that. It was just shifted like that and that was my new straight on the steering wheel. Made things quite difficult. I wound up replacing the LCA, but never fixed the frame. I imagine it would have been quite a bit though.

But yes... just to let you know you're not alone drifting into curbs.

Add your comment to this topic!