Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what can go wrong?

deadring
05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
hi, guys,

well it's time to look for a car again and im not sur what yet.. i have a BIg intrest in volvos but dont want any trouble... atleast not BIG troubles..

of course im looking into a 850 and it HAS to be turbo... now i heard there a back seal that can break and takes foever to get there and some have electrical problem...

i have found a few with about 100 000 miles of them and im gonna go chck them out.. i'd prefer a a manual tranny but so far they seem rare and all are autos.. years im looking at is around 1996

my question is how bad is it really when that rear or crank seal goes? and how bad are the auto trannies to handle the turbo? what other things should i look for that is PRONE to break?

of course i'd be intrested in putting a exaust and a REAL BOV on it and upping the boost a little.. and install a REAL boost gauge.

so yeah it sums up to "what can happen and how much does it cost?"

coze around here scrap yard dont have much of them so finding parts will be one hell of a party.

i even looked at saabs but heard they had troubles..

thanks,

Deadring.

TheMan5952
06-10-2006, 01:26 PM
"well it's time to look for a car again and im not sur what yet.. i have a BIg intrest in volvos but dont want any trouble... atleast not BIG troubles..

of course im looking into a 850 and it HAS to be turbo... now i heard there a back seal that can break and takes foever to get there and some have electrical problem..."

Your probaly talking about the oll return from the turbo, it's not really hard to do and is about 12 bucks for the stuff to do it. I haven't really heard of any known electrical issues with the 850's.

"i have found a few with about 100 000 miles of them and im gonna go chck them out.. i'd prefer a a manual tranny but so far they seem rare and all are autos.. years im looking at is around 1996 "

Volvo did not import any turbo 850's with a 5 speed to the US. Canada had a few go there but they are hard to find, most of the one's you find are people that converted it over to a 5 speed. If you want a Turbo 5 speed volvo look into the S70 cars.

"my question is how bad is it really when that rear or crank seal goes? and how bad are the auto trannies to handle the turbo? what other things should i look for that is PRONE to break? "

The rear main seal can go from time to time but so long as you keep the PCV system (aka flame trap) clean then you shoul dhave any problems, but that is with any car.

"of course i'd be intrested in putting a exaust and a REAL BOV on it and upping the boost a little.. and install a REAL boost gauge."

Most people do that, not hard to do.

"so yeah it sums up to "what can happen and how much does it cost?"

"coze around here scrap yard dont have much of them so finding parts will be one hell of a party."

http://www.fcpgroton.com

i even looked at saabs but heard they had troubles..

Add your comment to this topic!