changing out factory stereo

horatius
05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I am being told that in changing out a factory stereo on my 2005 chevy colorado am/fm stereo to a chevy factory am/fm cd mp3 stereo that it may not work, and that i might need the vin # from the vehicle that the new cd stereo came out of. Starting to feel like I might have purchased something that I won't be able to use.

RahX
05-20-2006, 02:00 AM
No, you need to program YOUR vin into the radio.

horatius
05-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Even if the stereo came out of another vehicle? I've called several dealerships, and they all say about the same thing. (it's best to have the vin # from the vehicle the stereo came out of) Although they say it helps to have it, sometimes they can program it without it, but, sometimes they can't get them to work without the vin #.
anyways, i'm gonna take it to the dealership and give it a try, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Carwhiz
06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't mess around with trying to program the stereo yourself, call the dealership and they should be more than willing to help you program the radio.

PamzJoe
07-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Quick question. I just recently bought a new 2007 Isuzu I-290. It's the Colorado's close cousin.(identical) It came with the GM factory am/fm CD MP3 stereo. My question is, this seems to be a decent stereo, so if I buy some higher quality speakers will it sound better? I had an '05 Silverado. The stereo in it seems to be the same as my new trucks although it had the Bose speakers. It was badass.

Add your comment to this topic!