O2 sensor and Chk engine light problem

JTheFish
05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I have a question and I hope someone might know. I had the check engine light turn on in my 96 Avalon and of course the car was due for inspection. I took it to the inspection station and let them fail it. They told me it failed for an O2 sensor. It had a code which internet research told me it was the bank 1 sensor which is the one on the exhaust manifold in the front. I replaced it and I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes. When I turned the car on the light was gone. It was like that for about 2 days and I only made maybe 2 or 3 small trips like maybe 20 miles during that time (like stopping at the grocery store, so the car was turned on and off). Then I was driving the next day and the light turned on again. Is there a possibility that the car turned it on until it figures out the settings? I have read places that this can happen if you clear the computer by unplugging the battery. Any comments would help. Also I replaced it with a BOsch O2 sensor with the plug attached so I did not need to splice wires.

Thanks

csaxon
06-11-2006, 08:26 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/3L-Evap2.jpg
You have 2 bank 1 sensors. The heating element of Bank1 sensor 2 is the usual culprit. Without checking the codes you don't know if it's the original problem or something new!

keno39046
06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I just had same problem. Replace the second or middle sensor on the rear exhaust bank and I bet it will solve your problem.

Add your comment to this topic!