Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Screeching sound at start-up...

marly87
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey all. I have an '05 SF 2.7L, FWD, with about 15,200 miles, and the other day she started making a screeching/squealing sound when I start her up. It's almost like the sound the belts make when they are slipping. It only lasts a second and it's only when I turn the key. Should I be worried? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:

twospirits
05-18-2006, 11:46 PM
You mentioned in another thread thats you are the second owner, did you get it checked by a mechanic/technician before buying it. Any sound thats is not there previously would get me nervous.

TS

marly87
05-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Actually, I listened to it today while I was running errands and it's more of a scraping sound. I guess I should just take it to the dealer and have them listen to it. It's an '05. If the starter needs to be replaced, shouldn't the warranty cover it?

marly87
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Okay, I found out what was really happening. Sorry, but it's kinda a long story.

The scraping sound had stopped, but left a squeeking sound whenever the engine was running. The squeeking got worse when I accelerated or turned on the A/C. I took my '05 Santy to a mechanic thinking the belts were slipping. He said the belt was hitting the side of the pulley. So I took the car to the dealer, they ordered the part, and said it would take about a week to arrive (that was Tuesday, 07/11/06). They said the car was okay to drive. WELL, yesterday I was on my way to work when the car suddenly became hard to steer and the brake and charge lights came on. I thought the alternator died, so I limped to the Monro shop near my house. The nice mechanic looked at my belts and said, "Oh, your alternator belt jumped off the pulley". While he is attempting to put it back on, the pulley wheel that the belt goes around comes off in his hand. I had the car towed to the Hyundai dealer and hand them the part that came off. The part that they ordered wasn't the part that came off. (ha, ha).

So, if any of you guys are having a problem with your belts squeeking, get it to the dealer right away!! BTW, does the warrenty cover the rental car?

twospirits
07-19-2006, 10:04 AM
That I know of, no, but due to their mis-diagnosis, they should cover it as a courtesy.

TS out

Add your comment to this topic!