Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint related question on a 300ZX

PCRed
05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone, I'm searching for a nice, used 90-96 NA 300ZX and it hasn't been the easiest of tasks. Anyway, I found a 94 a few hours away from me for $5,200 with 129k miles on it and it looks to be in pretty good condition. One problem though is a couple spots of sun damaged paint. I am wondering if it is worth it to buy a 300ZX with bad paint and have it painted later on when I have the money or just keep searching for one with better paint? Its pretty hard here in California to find a 10+ year old car that doesn't have faded/sun damaged paint so I'm not sure on what to do. Seeing as how a good quality paint job will cost half of what the car is worth it seems kinda silly but at the same time its bloody hard finding a good quality 300ZX. Heres a pic of what the paint looks like:
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/e42b18360d.jpg

Is there any other option besides a whole new paint job to repair the paint? Thanks a lot for the help and I look forward to joining the 300ZX community soon!

SilentNIght1647
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM
You could always just repair the bad spots assuming it has factory paint it shouldn't be a big deal just blend it with the rest of the paint, or do it yourself painting is hard but not impossible if you go in with the right mindset, and that car doesn't look bad at all I don't think I'd screw with it.

xXxRocker5150
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
you could do some restoration stuff like (I'm guessing here) wet sand, claybar, clear coat protection/waxing and buffing, etc... Nothin's gonna' look as nice as a fresh coat of paint though....

raiblade
05-19-2006, 12:18 AM
IMO, there is only one answer for this question. If this is the car you want, and all else is acceptable, then you can put up with not so great paint for a couple of months, till you have it repainted. As was stated above, nothing will look as good as a new paint job. Z32's with immaculate paint are hard to find anywhere, and Texas has plenty. Just suck it up and enjoy it, dude. I just grabbed a white 91tt and im getting the interior redone and a new paintjob in about a month.

Add your comment to this topic!