Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MANY questions regarding mufflers/exhaust/catback/headers etc.

ChampKnockoutKing
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok. I own a 2000 Eclipse GS Auto. I may be getting a 2005 GS Auto. I really don't think that makes a difference what year it is, but if it does please excuse me for I am a retard in auto mechanics. Anyways, well I am looking to get a full catback exhaust in my car and I am debating between three right now and I have no idea which to get. The things I am looking for are 1.) DEEP LOUD THROATY sound. 2.) LOUDNESS. 3.) Boost in performance. (Nothing MAJOR but even just the slightest boost and I would be satisfied). Anyways yeah I know its kinda lame to just want mostly sound but thats just the way I am. Sorry if it doesn't suit some of your needs. Also, money isnt really that BIG of an issue. I understand I get what I pay for so I'm not gonna be cheap about what I buy yet I don't want to throw away a thousand dollars over some muffler. Just sayin. Anyways.

The first one I looked at comes from Thermal R&D. I heard these catbacks are very loud and sound the greatest out of all so far. Thats just what I have heard though. Never had heard one in real life.

http://www.thermalrd.com/mitsubishi.htm

There the link for anybody.

The second one is the magna flow catback. I heard these are pretty damn good for what they're worth. But not sure about what the sound and performance is like. So yeah. Heres the link.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp?SID=4Mitsubishi&zone=Sport&id=190&cat=Eclipse

The last one is HKS Catback. I don't really know much about these except they are pretty good. Thats it. I also heard they are made from Greddy but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm just stupid. Anyways, heres a link to where they sell it because I can't find the home page.

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/product.aspx?p=1548&c=21&l=2

But yeah thats what I want to choose from. if yall have any other suggestions lemme hear them! Ok. Now for some tiny questions.

1.) Does it really make any difference whatsoever how big the tip is? I have found some for 4 inches and 4.5 inches. Does that make any difference in anything?

2.) I heard that a 3 inch piping is better than (what most offer) which is 2.25 piping. Which is better and should I get 3 inch piping or would it really make any significance difference?

3.) What is the difference in the style tip many have to offer? Which one should I get cause I could never really tell a difference. Like some say DR style tip and I don't have a clue as to what that is. SO which is better?

4.) Last question, What is the real point of headers? Like if I was to buy some different ones, what would be the significance difference be? I heard something about it increases HP but it makes the car WAY more louder. But I don't know if thats what I really heard. I wasn't paying attention. Anyways, so yeah if I was to change them which should I get and should I really even do it?

Anyways, if there is ANYTHING else you think I should know, whther it be the way it should be bent, the best way to put it on, or if I'm an idiot for posting all these questions, then feel free to tell me! I will take anything I get.

Ok everybody this should keep ANYONE busy if they are bored and I know its extremely long but after all I am extremely curious. I would appreciate ANY help I get so much. Whether you answer 1 question or all 5 of them, I would be really happy and very grateful! Thanks alot everybody! Sorry if any precious time was wasted. I will give it back to you in another life on the other side. Peace.

rodbls
05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum. Your best bet for all your questions is to use the search tool for this forum and type in some key words like Cat back exhaust, muffler, headers, anything. There are tons of threads on here that talk about everything you want to know. When it comes to performance (good performance) exhaust systems it all comes down to personal taste. Read up on every system you are looking at, and pick one that you think you will be pleased with. Trust me, if you are looking at a decent system, regardless of which one you go with, you will be pleased. Good luck with your searches, I know you will get all the information you want from them.

To anyone else, if you have something possitive to add, do so. But dont post something that just says "it's called the search tool". That doesnt help anyone.

808drifter
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
1. I'd say go with the HKS (ive read better sounding reveiws on this one than the others)

2. As for the size in pipe 3in is good enough (you have a 4banger, go to big and you can kiss that low end goodbye)

3. I wouldnt get the headers unless your also planing to put in a CAI (Cold Air Intake) Because if your gonna make the exhaust end less restrictive you shold do the same to the intake. Actually you should get a CAI even if you just stick with the exhaust.

4. As for changing to an 05, from what i understand the newer models weigh more. (i might be wrong so, yah..)

drdisque
05-18-2006, 07:06 PM
3 in pipe is way too big for either of those cars unless you plan on getting a turbo sometime in the near future. 2.5 is a better size.

Exhaust tips have no effect on the car's performance, they have a tiny effect on sound, so the rest is just what look you prefer.

Headers make exhaust flow out of the ports and then combine easier. It depends on the car and the header how much it will increase sound and power over stock.

weaponjoe
05-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I'd go with 2.25inch for your pipes...

I've got a Magnaflow straight through "race series" muffler. Sounds awesome, nice and loud. I love the Magnaflow sound, such a real growl. I'm probably going to be pulling the stock resonator and put some new pipe soon, make it even more loud and raspy. Either that, or I'll be getting a test pipe for the main-cat.

Anyway, for a catback, I'd go with invidia. I've heard that they make one of the best performing catbacks for the 3G 4cyl.

and, in my experience, headers will only make your car sound louder with a stock exhaust system. If you've already modded your exhaust system, you won't notice that big a difference in the sound when you add headers. Same thing goes for a cold air intake, they're significantly louder than the stock air box- when they're ran with a stock exhaust system, otherwise, you won't hear the difference.

brad02420
06-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I was looking at the magnaflow full cat back and it comes with 2.25 in. pipe for the GT, wouldnt you want 2.5 in. for a V6? Or does 2.25 work better with that system maybe, surely they would make it 2.5 if it is better performence wise right???

Add your comment to this topic!