Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

puddle on drivers side rear floor

BostonKev
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a 1997 that occasionally will gather a puddle on the rubber floor behind the driver's seat. It is an ex police model but there are no holes on the car at all (anymore). I've tried to locate where it's coming from and my best guess is the hole where the seatbelt attaches to the floor. Would you first think it was a rubber molding issue (as it all appears tp look ok) or something to do with the seal on the plastic piece that is on the center frame divider between the doors? Thank you

way2old
05-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey bostonkev. Have you looked at the right front firewall by the a/c plenum? A lot of agencies ran wires through a rubber plug there ans did not seal it up. The water will enter there and run back through the door sill and pool in the rear passenger floorboard.

BostonKev
05-17-2006, 09:17 PM
all over that W2O. I've actually had that before and the whistle from the air and the increased engine sound gives it away. No this is a tougher one. A fellow crown vic guy and think we're pretty sure it's from the seat belt tie down on the floor which makes me think I need to seal up the plastic piece. Ever run into this?

way2old
05-18-2006, 06:38 AM
That will be a first for me. Let me know if that is the source of the leak.

wgbtucson
05-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Try looking in the rain gutter above the doors. Pull back the weather strip around the roof a little. This is where the screws are put to hold the light bar down.

BostonKev
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Very perceptive. Definitely a guy who knows the ex cruisers but I actually had those filled when I had the car painted and the other 3 antenna holes taken care of. I've gone over the rubber molding pretty thoroughly too and they look fine which leads me to believe it's the plactic piece. I'll get comfy in the back and have my wife soak me down with the hose and see what happens. Thanks for all the thoughts.

OldsBuickGuy82
06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I have the same problem in my 1992 CVLX. If I park it heading downhill and it rains - nothing, but if I park pointing uphill at the slightest mark it will get soaked back there. I've done all the searching I can think of and nothing seems messed with. I even got in the car when it was raining and could see nothing dripping in. I'm just worried that maybe the water will get under the drivers seat and cause some kind of short and fry the p/s motors.

Add your comment to this topic!