Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gain settings

RG501
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
is there a special way to set the gain, bass boost, subsonic and lowpass controls on the Profile HA1000 amp besides just to mess around with it untill you get something you like?

FormulaLT1
05-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I am moving this to the car audio forum. I am sure the guys and gals in there can answer this better than we can. I will leave a redirect link in the firebird forum for you though.

sr20de4evr
05-18-2006, 08:08 AM
bass boost leave off
subsonic set ~5hz below tuning if it's a ported box, all the way down if it's sealed
lowpass set around 80 and adjust from there (no more than +/- 30-40hz or so though
gain:
http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

CBFryman
05-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Subsonic would be properly set ~1/2 an octave below tuning :)

PaulD
05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I set my mid amp to clipping at full volume, then a little extra ...... I set the others around that. I try and set about a 12 dB bass hump using the bass amp gain (and EQ if it has one).

sr20de4evr
05-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Subsonic would be properly set ~1/2 an octave below tuning :)

The sub is already unloading at that frequency, the SSF wouldn't be protecting anything. Output falls through the floor right after you pass tuning, there's no reason to set the SSF that low.

NAVY IC
05-20-2006, 03:45 PM
For gain settings, I like this method because it's universal to various input voltages...
Turn off your loudness and sound proccesing. Set your EQ and tone controls to flat, (everything in it's middle position).
For subs, use a 0Db reference test tone set at 50Hz, don't use attenuated test tones, and set your HU volume to 75%.
Dis-connect your speakers from your amp or use the proper PPE for hearing protection while performing this alignment.
Start with your amps gain setting at its lowest position, with a voltmeter placed across your amps speaker output leads.
Turn your amps gain knob until you reach the maximum RMS specifications for your particular amp, approx. 1v per 20watts.

For subsonic settings, I would set the subsonics to match the resonant freq. of your box...
For low-pass settings, I would set the low pass at 20hz lower than the subs highest freq. w/12db xover...
For bass boost, I would use the boost if the ~ was selectable to try and make the flattest low end response...

PaulD
05-20-2006, 10:42 PM
The sub is already unloading at that frequency, the SSF wouldn't be protecting anything. Output falls through the floor right after you pass tuning, there's no reason to set the SSF that low.

This is why I don't care for ported boxes ...... unless you have a HUGE sub and don't mind having a huge box, the low end isn't all that great considering what you have. Like sr20 says, after only a few Hz below the tuning freq the speaker is completely unloaded - not good on a sub connected to a 1000+ watt amp

CBFryman
05-21-2006, 03:37 PM
-6dB per octve, unloading doesnt start untill about 1/2 octave below tuning. My sub doenst start unloading untill around 20Hz tuned to 28Hz

GSteg
05-21-2006, 08:02 PM
mine doesn't unload (generally speaking). Infinite baffle for the win! :D My days of boxed subwoofers are over. I love infinite baffle. the space I save plus the smooth response..hrmm..

CBFryman
05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Mkay, well place in Street B with Infinite baffle and ill make the switch tomarrow.

ngsm13
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
This is why I don't care for ported boxes ...... unless you have a HUGE sub and don't mind having a huge box, the low end isn't all that great considering what you have. Like sr20 says, after only a few Hz below the tuning freq the speaker is completely unloaded - not good on a sub connected to a 1000+ watt amp

Hehehehe... not mine. ;)

nG

CBFryman
05-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh, want low end? 55w per 10 and a 24x35x13 box... even with the back seat closed it kicks arse for only 55w. Cant wait to get 220 per sub in the beast.... the girl already complains about the trunk rattleing.

and the rear jump seats are just about worthless, so i can afford 9cuft gross.

Add your comment to this topic!