clicking noise from right front tire(96 windstar)

kws6000
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Ive had a metallic clicking sound ,from the right front tire ,while driving for the past few weeks.applying the brakes or going around a corner makes no difference.Any ideas?Thanks.(p.s. 70000miles)

horse482
05-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Crawl under the van and see if the cv boot on that side is ripped and if it has thrown all of the greese out. If so then you will need to replace the cv alxe. If the problem is not the cv axle then jack the van up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o-clock and see if there is play, if so have someone watch on the back side to see if the play is in the spension or in the wheel bearing.

wiswind
05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I have had 3 causes of a clicking sound on that same wheel on my '96.

1. The factory hub cap is doing that because at least one of the plastic clips that holds it in place is broken.

2. I had the dealership not correctly put the lug nuts on.....and one came off and was clicking inside the hub cap. As it came off in the winter, in Wisconsin, I did not hear it until I was on a trip out of state, and put the window down as I coasted into a toll booth.

3. Warped rotor from #2 as I did not know for a while. Each time the wheel rotated, the rotor bumped the inner brake pad, causing a clicking sound.

Add your comment to this topic!