Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 rodeo 2.6L code p1406

marknel
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
First let me say that I've done alot of searching both here at automotive forums and on the web in general.

The Rodeo has 116,000 miles on it, is a 1997 2.6L 4 cylinder. A few weeks ago it started "jerking" (best way I can describe it, when trying to maintain a speed. Its much more noticable at low speeds, say in 2nd gear at 15 miles an hour.

The Check Engine light came on a few days ago and I took it by a mechanics to have it checked. The code they came up with was P1406 - Egr Circuit Fault.

Since then the Check Engine light has gone away and not come back. The bulb is fine as the light comes on for the moment its supposed to when I start the vehicle up. The "jerky" is still there however.

Now in reading numerous posts, it seems like cleaning the EGR would be helpful. It looks like I have an electronic EGR (I checked today), similar to what I found here : http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
(link found via this board)

My only concern is that while the egr unit looks similar I wasn't sure if that would apply to my vehicle.

Do you think cleaning the EGR as pointed out in that link would help?
Is that what I would basically follow for the 97 Rodeo that I have?

Thanks in advance!

*PS* in that link there is a reference to a "Desiel sound" caused by a loose bolt on the bottom. I'm going to have to check for that too!

marknel
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Well after having have slept on it, I think I'm going to try it this weekend.

After reading the link about cleaning the EGR, it doesn't seem to be difficult.

If someone can give me a "warm fuzzy" that it should be the same for the 1997 4 cylinder Rodeo that I have I'd feel more confident.

Thanks!

marknel
05-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Well I'm back to being in a quandry. I ended up talking to two mechanics that basically said I shouldn't clean the EGR on this 97 rodeo. That I will cause more damage.

I'm stuck between trying to clean this thing and risking it ending me costing more or just taking it to the dealership and paying $475+ to get this fixed.

No one has any input for me on this?

Thanks,

Mark

marknel
05-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually I think I found my answer from Ramblin Fever in another thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4067081&postcount=5

Am I correct in thinking that the 97 honda passport and 97 isuzu rodeo are esentially the same vehicle?

marcre
05-19-2006, 05:08 PM
hopefully someone can answer your questions fully. Thepassport/rodeo are the same if they are 4cyl or 6cyl. The write-up on the FAQ's page is for the 98+ 3.2 6cyl engines. Your Rodeo is going to be way different I believe. Looking at my Haynes book, you have one of two EGR's and my suspision is that it may be the linear valve system.

I am not sure of the procedure to clean out your 97 2.6. Hopefully someone will let you know if you can. You may want to get in there and remove it and see if it is dirty. See if there are passage ways to clean.

A new EGR for you should be under $200 and you may be able to change it yourself. I'd hit the junlyard and look for one. I got one there a week ago for my '99 for $15. Worth a look.

I wish I knew more about your engine, but I've never even seen a 2.6.

marc

marknel
05-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to go pick up a new gasket from the dealership today before I take the thing off. would it help anyone help me if I had pictures of the thing before, during and after I take it off?

Ramblin Fever
05-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, if you could get pictures for me that would be helpful. I have the '97 3.2L V6 engine and I have no idea if the EGR set-up is the same on both engines.

If you could show me a picture of your set-up that may tell me. What was the reason behind your mechanic stating you'd do more damage by cleaning the EGR?

I've cleaned mine 4 times, no issues yet.

Gizmo42
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I've never replaced an egr, I've always cleaned them with no problems. I think your mechanic just wants you to pay him. You can mess up an egr if you clean it wong, how you do it will depend on what type it is. I cant see how you can damage your engine by cleaning it. Post pics and we can give you a better idea.

Like the others I havent seen the 2.6 4cyl so would have to see it.

marknel
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Life got in the way :)

Anyway I got fed up with being uncertain and I just figured what the heck. It's two bolts and maybe a 15 dollar gasket to take a look.

So look is what I did. Now I don't have any pictures yet, but the bottom of the EGR looked exactly like the first photo in the link that I posted in my original post. So I sat there with carb cleaner, the only thing the nearest autoparts shop had, and sprayed and sprayed.

I noticed that the pintle had a star shaped socket so i spun it abit thinking that I might have to remove that to clean better, but it didn't come out. I hope that my turning it didn't do any harm.

I wasn't with anyone but I did start the truck up with the EGR not attached. Scared me a bit cause it reved WAY up, so I shut it down and re-attatched the EGR to its plug but did not re-attach it to the engine.
I started it back up and it first reved up but settled back down. At this point I was tempted to get out and spray the vacuum hole as per instructions but I wasn't comfortable doing that with out anyone around.

*needless to say I don't work on cars*

So what I did do was spray the vacuum hole a bit with the carb cleaner then ran the engine abit. Rinse repeat.

I placed the EGR valve back on and at first it had a hard time staying running. I sat there a bit giving it some gas and it eventually stayed on.

Question:

Is it normal to for this to cause a lower idle? The truck seems to be idling much lower than it was.

So I drove around and while there is still some slight jerky when trying to maintain a low speed, say 25 to 35 in 3rd it seems MUCH better than it was.

I plan on going to the izusu dealership tomorrow for a new gasket and enlist the G/F help to man the wheel while I try to clean the vacuum hole with the engine running.

I'll take pictures then too incase others have questions ect.

Thank you for all the input and please feel free to offer any other advice for me regarding this issue.

Mark

Add your comment to this topic!