Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another problem

radioman2002
05-16-2006, 02:18 PM
OK, the valve cover leak fiasco has been solved,(another thread 96-99 engine swap) not the gasket, but the rubber feedthroughs for the bolts. Replaced all of them, a few didn't look too good. Now the car runs fine except at 2000 rpm. At first I suspected a vacumn leak, but disconnected the AIC and the car still ran at 2k. It should have died, so I suspect the car is not at the idle point of the TPS, am I correct?? If so what do I adjust, the set screw in the throttle body or readjust the TPS pot on the throttle body?

way2old
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Neither. If the TPS is the problem, it needs replaced. I would guess that something is hanging the throttle. Check for any binding first, then go to the TPS. If you have a multimeter(analog) you can do an ohm and voltage sweep to check the TPS. Voltage with key on and engine not running should be around .6 volt and go up to around 4.5 volts on a full sweep. If the voltage is close to 1 volt with throttle on the stop, the TPS is bad, or someone has already adjusted the set screw.

radioman2002
05-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Well I found it about 15min after this posting. The AIC is stuck wide open, unplugging the electrical conector had no effect, but removing the vacumn line to the air inlet and plugging it with my finger resulted in normal idle, just not corrected or compensated when the fan kicked on. Thanks

way2old
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for posting the fix. Appreciate the time you take to post the fixes.

Add your comment to this topic!