Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo 2001 3.2 Starts rough when cold and ofter dies

martin_ga
05-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Hello everybody ... After 4 years and 85,000 miles I started to have some minor problems with my Rodeo. 1# Does anybody know what could cause the problem with rough running engine when stated cold in the morning? It starts, than it idles at maybe 100 RPM, can hear the slowely moving pistons like air compressor. It dies when gas pedal is not pressed. 2# Does anybody know why Rodeo V6 3.2 must have 93 octane gas? Is it because the engine is from France (Europe) and gas in Europe is higher in octanes? Minimum 95, Maximum 98? Gas prices kill me with 18mpg and 93 octane gas. 3# Thank you forum members for helping me with windshield wipers problem. I bought used alarm control unit on Ebay for $30 and my wipers work again (Saved over $300, $260 new part price and $100 dealer estimated labor cost) I really appreciate any help. Martin

rodeo02
05-17-2006, 02:22 PM
This is a bad intake manifold gasket. Dont waste your cash running hi octane gasoline. The 3.2L was never made in France. The 4L30E trans is made in France.

Joel

martin_ga
05-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks everbody for help... Is there a better way to test bad intake manifold gasket from the traditional way "spraying engine starter fluid around intake manifold while starting the car"? I strongly believe that 3.2l v6 rodeo must use 93 octane gas. When I put 89, the engine sounds like a shaking half-full gallon of milk. I believe that the same engine was shared in honda odysey before they went to 3.5l. Any help will be appreciated THANKS

Ramblin Fever
05-20-2006, 09:08 AM
My truck came from Vegas, NV, the lowest octane available out there was 87 and that's what I ran.

Truck pinged from the day I bought it, at 11k miles - dealer said to put higher octane in it. I tried a few rounds each of 91 and 93, separately.

Didn't make a bit of difference, truck still pinged, but ran good.

Dealership reset the computer a couple of times over the course of 20k miles or so, still didn't change a thing.

Truck became our ramblin vehicle, taking trips all over, one thing we quickly noticed - in low altitude, i.e. California, Arizona, Nevada, parts of New Mexico truck would ping at the slightest incline. Took a trip to Colorado on the same tank of gas from Vegas, truck pinged half-way thru Utah, at about Cedar City, truck *instantly* stopped pinging like a light switch.

Came back through Utah, on Colorado's 87 Octane, instantly started pinging again as elevation dropped. Took it to the dealership, they thought we were crazy, as most vehicles ping at high altitude, not low altitude.

Eventually, when the truck had 70k miles, we permanently moved to Colorado. Truck now has 156k miles, and runs great, no pinging. BUT, in our manual, it states that in higher elevation you can run an octane lower, so we've tried a few rounds of 85 octane, just to see, and each time it starts to ping again. So, it lives on 87 octane.

I have tried various tanks of 91, just to see if there's any difference. If anything, it makes my truck a tad sluggish, definitely doesn't need it.

If I were in your shoes, for your #2 symptom - check your spark-plugs, clean your EGR, your throttle body, and your MAF sensor, and replace your air filter if it has more then 12k or if you live in a dusty area, sooner - keep those areas as clean as possible so your truck can breath better. And do not be running an aftermarket air filter, all they do is ingest dirt into the engine.

#1 symptom sounds like a bad intake manifold gasket, but I'm not positive, haven't experienced that.

Ramblin Fever
05-20-2006, 09:11 AM
FWI - the 3.2L sohc and dohc is an Isuzu engine all the way. The Honda *Passports* shared the same engine, as they are basically the same vehicle, but the engine is an Isuzu creation.

Don't know anything about the Odyssey, except that the newer ones are nice looking with their sunroofs.

martin_ga
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks everybody for your help... I replaced the FPR and it starts and runs like new. Also replaced the plugs with denso plugs and was suprised that there are no spark plug wires and distributor cap. It is weird because i ordered cables and distributor cap for 2001 rodeo and now i need to return it. Saved me $100. I also heard that the engine noise could be related to engine oil and oil filter. It seams that these isuzu 3.2L 205hp engines are as sensitive as space shuttle. Will change the oil to valvoline maxlife 10w30 and oil filter topurolator pureone or wix (napa gold) and I will see.. Thanks again for all the help

Add your comment to this topic!