Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 bravada front differential

jnavarro
05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Have a chance to buy this vehicle, but front drive makes popping noise. The front passenger side inner cv has alot of play. If problem is bad diff bearing, does the whole diff need to be replaced (ie, metal shavings, etc)?
Anything special I need to be aware of before I drop the front diff and cv shafts?

Chris Stewart
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm not very familiar with the newest Bravada's....sorry.

ericn1300
05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm not very familiar with the newest Bravada's....sorry.

me either. take a look at my list of vehicles below. i probably won't be in the market for a 2002 until about 2012 or later. hope they have the bugs worked out by then.

but, diffs are usualy pretty bullet proof. in the past i've driven one completely dry until i heard it whining. replaced the cover gasket and fluid and had no problems besides the whining noise that never went away until i rolled it and totaled it out 3 years later.

CV failure is common and should be considered a routine cost like tires, brakes, coolant and transmission service.

jnavarro
05-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Well I took a better look at it and it seems the part that is making the screaching noise is called a 'carrier'. The diff is on the driver's side of the oil pan (l6). There is a tunnel that goes through the oil pan to the carrier that is bolted on the right side of the oil pan. A shaft comes from the diff through the pan and lands on the inside of the carrier. The right cv assy mounts into the carrier.
I may just seal the tunnel and dummy out the outer cv joint to mount the rotor. Anyway there is no use for 4whl drive where I live. I've been quoted anywhere from 1800. to 3000. for this water pump looking thing.!?
No thanks, I'll do without it.

maxwedge
05-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Have a chance to buy this vehicle, but front drive makes popping noise. The front passenger side inner cv has alot of play. If problem is bad diff bearing, does the whole diff need to be replaced (ie, metal shavings, etc)?
Anything special I need to be aware of before I drop the front diff and cv shafts?
Careful here the diff is attached to the oil pan and the whole set up is complex at best, this is not a dyer job.

Add your comment to this topic!