Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new engine?

hunter_v
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
96 grand am gt
2.4L dohc
manual trans.

i recently killed my engine by driving it without oil. the car still runs, however it knocks pretty badly. so here's my question, should i have it fixed, or just sell as is and buy something else?

if i should fix it, how much should i expect to pay?

and is it possible to drop the 3.1 v6 in it? and would i need the ram air hood in that case?

gmack221
05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your motor.

I don't recomend trying to put a different motor in then came in the car, it just isn't worth the trouble, you'd need a new trans, computer, wire harness, and multiple other things that you'd have to figure out while doing it.

As for the 2.4L motor you have now, if you were to pull the motor out and take it somewhere to be rebuilt you could probably get it rebuilt for about $1500 - $2000 (maybe even cheaper), on my 95 2.3l I replaced the crank, one rod, new pistons, block machined, head checked over, timing chain set for around $1000, then put it together myself.

good luck

hunter_v
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM
thanks....

appreciate it.

hunter_v
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
is it worth fixing?

gmack221
05-16-2006, 11:43 AM
guess thats up to you to decide, is the body in good shape? has it ever been wrecked? is the interior in good shape? Is the car paid off? how bad do you want a new car?

I bought one missing a head, gave $400 for the car, put about $2000 and alot of work into the car, that includes new tires, new brakes, complete rebuild on the motor. I don't need to have a new car, as long as I can get the car reliable I don't care if theres a paint chip here or there. So I have about $2400 into the car, thats about 6 car payments on a new car in the same class as the grand am. Guess where the other 4.5 yrs of car payments goes, my pocket, insurance, gas, & maintence.

In the end its your decision, do you like the car, can you afford to put the money into it, will you be happy driving it if you fix it. There's no guarentee that the trans will not go out in 6 months, or that other minor things will not go wrong with it, but without a car payment you can afford to fix those other things.

rkuchar1
05-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I have the same problem, trying to decide on putting a new engine in or buying a new car My heads are going/gone. I have a 99 Grand AM SE that I just paid off. I am opting for a new engine, since my insurance just went down. No body damage, interior is clean. I am going through an auto wrecker, getting an engine that is rebuilt though, with 55k for $900 CDN. PLus they are going to buy my engine. IN my case it worth it.

xeroinfinity
05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I have the same problem, trying to decide on putting a new engine in or buying a new car My heads are going/gone. I have a 99 Grand AM SE that I just paid off. I am opting for a new engine, since my insurance just went down. No body damage, interior is clean. I am going through an auto wrecker, getting an engine that is rebuilt though, with 55k for $900 CDN. PLus they are going to buy my engine. IN my case it worth it.

What engne is your GA?

The 4cyls heads are fairly cheap w/trade-in $150-200, not bad to change.

If you hav the 3.4V6 you can get rebuilt heads for the 3.4s pretty cheap w/trade-in for around $350+/-. Gasket kits about $250-300. New head bolts $25-30.
IF your heads are the only thing bad, I'd just replace them, new gaskets, head,intakes(upper and lower),valve covers gaskets,might even get an EGR gasket, cant remember exactly, but you should save you're self some $$$

900$ for a rebuilt engine is awful cheap, bet they didnt do anything to it, just pulled it out of a car to sell as is.
Might end up with more problems than you started with. That is if your engine hasnt been giving you other troubles, like lower intake gaskets.

rkuchar1
05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
maybe..I have 3.4 v6 .but all the quotesI have gotten for just the heads are like $2000, since they don't know if the heads need machining or if the block is cracked....if I get the engine there is a 120 warranty parts/labour...I guess you can say that I am between a rock and a hard place...:bricks1:

Xeiros
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Where are you guys getting these low prices for the heads and such? I've got a 2.4L 97 GAGT, and I've been looking around for replacement head prices on the net and such, and haven't found much of anything, and certainly not in that price range. Is this what a local shop was quoting?

xeroinfinity
05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
For $2000 you can get these Stage 1 Heads (http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3400heads_1&Category_Code=3400) for your 3.4L for $750.

You could get a stage 1 "package" for under $2k @
http://milzymotorsports.com/

I'll see if I can track down some stock heads for the 4 & 6 cylinders online. The head(s) will hav a core charge usually for your old heads untill you send them back.

xeroinfinity
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.cylinder-heads.com/
they have heads, didn't look for specifics though.

Heres another list for the 3.4
Heads (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1357118&parttype=5304)

Heres one for the 2.4 dohc
2.4 heads (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1357107&parttype=5304)

Both of those are examples, search for your specific needs and see what you come up with.
If I find anything else I'll post it later.

Good Hunting !

Xeiros
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Xero.

I think I should have done a lil research myself. :shakehead

I completely overlooked the 99-05 models, as I forgot about the non GT models and how they would have likely used the previous models GT engine for the SE's. At least it will make it a little easier for me to find some parts

Add your comment to this topic!