Head Unit Theftlock Code

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I have a 2002 grand am gt, and my old monsoon head unit blew out so I bought a new one on ebay. It has the theftlock just like my old one and i have no idea how to unlock it to use it on my car. Can anyone help me?

tommy00gt1
05-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Another E-bay special, lol.... I'm afraid you're stuck with a large paperweight... unless the former owner gives you the code.

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
i dont think they know the code...how can they get it?

tommy00gt1
05-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Sorry tosay, but either know it; or they don't know it. If they didn't bother to write it down, then you're stuck. I hope you didn't buy it "as is"..... Hopefully, they'll give you a refund.
The only person that knows that code is them..... hopefully, they wrote it down and can tell you. If not, then you're stuck.. Demand a refund because you bought a non-working radio that cannot be unlocked.

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-15-2006, 09:56 AM
see the reason i posted was because i saw a few months ago somewhere a way to unlock theftlock by pressing numbers then calling ac delco and giving them the numbers it spit out, but i cannot find the site now and i was wandering if anyone else out there has heard of this method

tommy00gt1
05-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I remember reading something too, but I'm not sure where I saw it though.... I read about three different forums, and I'm not sure where I saw it. But it had something to do with the car's VIN number I think. If I remember correctly, a Pontiac dealership can try to obtain it from GM, for a charge. Not sure how much they'll charge for it as I've never ran into a situation like this.
Maybe you could go to a Pontiac place and see if they can help.... if not, then I'm lost and have no idea....
In all honesty, I wouldn't fuss around with it... I would ask for my money back.

gmack221
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
see the reason i posted was because i saw a few months ago somewhere a way to unlock theftlock by pressing numbers then calling ac delco and giving them the numbers it spit out, but i cannot find the site now and i was wandering if anyone else out there has heard of this method

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=389197&highlight=theft+lock

If the previous owner didn't register their lock code your screwed

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
so if they did register it than those steps on that link would work?

tommy00gt1
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
You've got nothing to loose... might as well try that phone number. But I agree with the other reply; I think you own a paperweight here.
If that phone number doesn't work, ask for a refund.... that's what I would do. If you bought it "as is" from salvage; you're screwed; you own a non-working radio.
Good luck; I hope you can get it working....

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
thanks....if nothing else ill try calling the dealer ...maybe they can unlock it....i personally think this theftlock business is shit...if someone steals my radio i cant use it anyways, and second of all, people arent really out there stealing stock radios..its not like they are great

catback23
05-15-2006, 12:05 PM
thanks....if nothing else ill try calling the dealer ...maybe they can unlock it....i personally think this theftlock business is shit...if someone steals my radio i cant use it anyways, and second of all, people arent really out there stealing stock radios..its not like they are great

Dunno about that, radio's are ever becoming more important parts of cars these days, manufacturers are sticking more electronics in them nowadays. The grand am's have the key chime electronics in the radio and I know honda has already put their keyless entry electronics in the radio.

Besides if stock radios weren't worth stealing you wouldn't have purchased one.

tommy00gt1
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow, well said catback23; I was thinking the exact same thing. And you're absolutely right about those chimes coming through the radio. I think that if you put in an aftermarket radio, you need some kind of device to bypass that chime module. I'm not certain of that though, as I'm not very tech savy and have never installed an aftermarket one.

xxtomorrowsliexx
05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
the reason i bought the stock head unit is becasue of ease to install. my buddy has the same car as i and we installed an aftermarket stereo in his car...becuase of the gt and the monsoon amp and such it is one hell of apain in the ass to install the aftermarkets...you have to get an interface to trick the car into thinking the stock radio is still in it and the interface also keeps ur chime working....then you have to do some jackass wiring to even get the fucking aftermarket one to work with the monsoon amp...otherwise you have to mess with all the speaker wires....its one pain in the ass...aftermarket stereos in a gramd am gt are not worth the pain....

tommy00gt1
05-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes, I hear 'ya. I was lucky actually, because I bought my GT1 last year and the radio had that damn screwey volume control problem. But the pontiac dealer ordered me a brand new radio (the one with the cd player and 7 band EQ). It was covered under warranty, so I was happy....
I actually love the radio... I'm 51 years old, and my bass-pounding days are over, lol.... Guess I'm gettin' old, dammit........

Add your comment to this topic!