Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oxygen Sensor causing major problems... i think...!!!!

wilson05
05-14-2006, 12:34 AM
its a 95 yj with a 2.5L i've been 4 wheeling a couple of times and everytime i get into water around a foot deep my jeep starts sputtering and sometimes dies on my ... i have to set there and rev it up for a while or drive or normal road to get it to run right again could this be water getting in the oxygen sensor and shorting it or something and mess the air fuel ratio up so bad that it would do that??? any ideas on what it would be if not that?

Ray H
05-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Could be but Im more inclined to think its something in the ignition. Its pretty common for the distributor cap to get wet inside. Keep a screwdriver handy and the next time it happens, pop the distributor cap off and dry it out and see if it runs ok then.

wilson05
05-14-2006, 06:21 PM
i just dont see how the distributor cap could be that likely to get wet ... i mean i dont go water fording just you know your basic mud and dirt and all that... but ok i guess i'll try that ... i just didnt think about that because i figured it was to high to get that wet

wilson05
05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
ok i did check it just now and there was mud on the inside of it but like i said and its running fine at the moment but anytime i go off roading like that it seems to act up but i guess i'll try to dry it out next time and see if that helps

mudcrazed
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with the other poster. You might have a small crack in the distributor cap that's causing the probem. Next tiem you go wheeling bag it and tape it off with duct tape and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

aspiderfreak
10-29-2006, 06:12 PM
if your TPS gets wet(throttle positioning sensor) it will bog.....they're cheap (20-30$) and easy to install. I got a new one and put a little silicone around the seal......never had a problem since

4x4grey88
11-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Try this..

Go out to the drive and hose down the O2 sensor while the engine is running. If that is the problem you will be able to see it right there.

Spray all around the under carriage to see if you happen to have a short in any wiring.

Please post the response.

Add your comment to this topic!