Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

95.5 Rodeo 3.2L cranks but wont start

zx6r
05-13-2006, 09:55 PM
As per title, recently many times whne I come to start the Rodeo, the engine turns over but wont fire. Whenever this happens I have notice that the "Check engine", AT, and one other warning light does not come on at start up. If I get those lights to come on, it cranks and fires..

Also since the trouble starting started happening, the rodeo has cut out totally while driving along. Again if I don't get the warning lights, after the cutout it wont start back up. But if I do get them it starts.

At first this failure to start was only now and then. Now I am lucky to get the thing to actually start, and I have resorted to disconnecting the battery completely overnight, reconnecting in the morning and so far it has started say 90% of the time I do this. ( I know disconnecting the batt sounds weird, but it works ! )

I am suspecting the ECU ? Anyone know where it is ? Does the 95.5 have an OBD-II port ( I have a OBD2 reader ) , if it does where is it ?

Any help tips , info appreciated

Ramblin Fever
05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Have you checked for any loose ground/volt connections, i.e. specifically the battery cables?

Also, have a load test done on your alternator. Could be something as simple as losing connection.

zx6r
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll check for loose connections, just in case.

But one point I didn't make clear in my posting is that usually I have to turn the iginition on and off many times, in an attempt to get "all" the warning lights to come on. If I get all the warning lights on, then it will fire.

In light of this I did take apart the steering column and see if there was something wrong with the ignition switch , but it checked out fine.

Add your comment to this topic!