Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 isuzu pup starting problems...

spddeamon005
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Heres my deal... i got a 92 isuzu pup with 2.6L i swapped a 90 isuzu pup engine into it cause the other one had a blown head... well i finally got the truck running after having problems with the spark (which ended up being the fact that the o2 sensor plugin is the same as the coil plugin so i had them mixed up) ... Well now i finally had it running but i had a problem with the wiring harness on the MAF sensor falling off and well it fell off and melted to the Exhaust manifold causing a short and causing the truck not to spark... well anyways it sat there for about 3 months cause i couldnt figure out what the hell it was. well recently i ran a wire straight from the coil power wire to the power wire on the MAF sensor and i heard a clicking noise in the fuse box (probably a relay) and then i spliced them together and i finally got spark... it wanted to start but all it does is pop spit and sputter... wont run... i did have the Distributor out looking at it wondering if it was possibly a module... but i marked the rotor to the distributor and got it back right in the way it was... could it possibly be the timing? would that keep it from firing right... ( i also put new plugs in and still backfiring) please if anyone knows anything let me know... ive been searching for someone that knows something for about 6 months

jackass#1
05-12-2006, 05:05 AM
yes timming could cause it. i know you said you marked the rotor and dist. so to line them up, but did you mark the dist. to the engine? if you put the dist. back in and not at the right place you could have moved your timming.

spddeamon005
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
ya i marked it on the engine too but i wonder if it might have still been off cause there is that adjustment you can do on it too

jackass#1
05-14-2006, 10:00 AM
okay try this, take the cap off and see what position the rotor is pointing. say its pointing at #2,then you would take out the #2 spark plug and see if it is tdc(top dead center) or all the way up in the chamber. if this matches up you would be able to start it to do your persition timming by rotating the dizzy with a timming light. as long as the rotor and piston are with eachother (initial timming) it will start, may not sound the greatest but will run. if it still doesnt run(still spitting) than it would probably be your valve timming or bent valves. this is a simple operation as long as you follow the manuals to the letter. i missed one step on my 86 pup and had to redo all over.

spddeamon005
05-14-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks for the info... i had the rotor marked to the distributor case that the distributor goes into. I have another question too.. i was messing with the charge relay... when i pull it out wiht the vehicle in the on position you can hear a humming noise... then when i put it back in it stops... i got a new relay for it and it still does the same thing... any idea what that is?

Add your comment to this topic!