Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Neon Sentry Key Question

Burnout524
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Is there any way to get, cut, and program a Sentry Security key for a 2000 Neon ES without having to visit the dealer? My uncle says it cost him $70 to go to the dealer to get a new key for his 02 Sebring. I just want a key for my girlfriends car incase she loses/forgets her keys somewhere. Right now, i've got a key for the car without the chip, so i can unlock the car, but if i try to start it, the engine will turn over then die a few seconds later. She's got a key that will start the Olds (no chip) but i want a key that will start the Neon.

tch1717
05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
hey, i am a tech at a chrysler dealer, so to program your key to the skim module you have to have the "pin" number, then program with chrysler scanner, i have heard that you can program with other scanners , i.e. snap-on, but i am not positive nor have i actually seen it done, but you will have to contact chrysler (or a dealer with identification of current owner) to get the pin #, they are very tight about giving that info out. (can you blame them ?)

Burnout524
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Hmm sounds like more trouble than its worth, especially since i don't have access to a scanner nor do i wanna get the run around from the dealership.

I read something earlier this morning on how to program the Sentry keys for an 02 Stratus and a Grand Cherokee and was wondering if it would work on the Neon. The directions:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut
B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On
C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off
D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on
E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) indicator in dash starts to flash
F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on
G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed

FWIW, I have 2 original keys that came with the car...

xj31
05-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Straight from the service manual:

SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
Three programmed Sentry Key transponders are included with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to five additional transponders, for a total of eight Sentry Keys. The following "Customer Learn" programming procedure for the programming of additional transponders requires access to at least two of the valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III® scan tool.

CUSTOMER LEARN PROGRAMMING
Obtain the additional Sentry Key transponder blank(s) that are to be programmed for the vehicle. Cut the additional Sentry Key transponder blanks to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key transponders into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for about three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. Both operations must be performed within 15 seconds.
About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the VTSS indicator LED will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
Within about fifty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the VTSS indicator LED will stop flashing and stay on solid for about three seconds to indicate that the blank Sentry Key transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately return to normal system operation following exit from the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
Go back to Step 2 and repeat this process for each additional Sentry Key transponder blank to be programmed.
If any of the above steps is not completed in the proper sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty seconds.

Burnout524
05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!