Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2k tib looking for tips

HyundaiTib
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I recently just purchased a 2k tib with 92k miles on it, i just needed a car for work. But as i've found myself getting more and more into tuning i was thinking of making it better as we all do. I'm planning on getting the engine rebuilt this summer. The car right now is stock and runs at about 140bhp is there any quick way to get say a 60-80hp gain thats not going to break my wallet. I know an intake and cat-back would help but i'm not really sure how much hp i would get with them, i priced and roughly i'm looking at about 400 for the intake and the exhaust system. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mister_Sinister
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
1st, let me say welcome to the site. 2nd, let me commend you on your choice of cars. ;)

Now, down to the nitty gritty.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with over 90k miles on your car, you DO NOT have 140 bhp. More like 120, at best. You'll definitely have some compression loss.

Now, as far as mods, the first thing I'd suggest is to get a used engine and tranny with low miles. Shouldn't run you more than $700 for both. This is because the engines in our cars are made to run for only 150k miles or so. Any longer than that and they start to have problems.

However, if you do intend to get a CAI and exhaust, don't expect more than 10 whp in gains. And for God's sake, don't just get a muffler!

HyundaiTib
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Hehe i appreciate the honesty and advice i'm in the Services and i really dont have much time to go out and work on my car and it just kills me to see these little high school kids out there (no offense to anyone who does the work themselves) that just drop it off with mommy and daddy's card and gets a whole shitload done to it and i'm sitting here with a sleak looking car that cant beat a stock cobalt lol. Could you reccomend any sites or perhaps where to look for the engine and tranny? And i was going to buy the downpipe on through to the muffler. :)

Underground_Killah
05-21-2006, 11:13 PM
cat back is always a good thing

plus when it comes to complete engines, autozone has em, and i believe they warranty em.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=420708
if you have questions on performance

Add your comment to this topic!