Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 98 Electrical Issue

rhenryjr
05-11-2006, 11:34 AM
OK. It's my first post, be kind. I have a 1990 98. I love this car, it makes me sick to death I'm having a problem with her. A few days ago while driving through a storm, the radio and climate control read-outs go blank. No sound out of the radio, can't get the climate control to do anything. I pull the radio fuse and it's still good. I'm stumped at this point and a little emotional. After some "thinking" I check the rest of the fuses. I find one blown fuse and replace it, viola it all works again. I hit a pothole and the fuse blows. I replace it and the fuse blows instantly. The next day I replace it and it works, I shut the door and it blows. I'm wondering on what direction I should go next to solve this problem, so I joined this forum 'cause the posts I read seemed like some people know what they're talking about. I hoping someone knows what to tell me to help me fix her.

maxwedge
05-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Welcome to AF, you will need a wiring diagram to see what that fuse feeds and what color wire, source it and trace it down looking for a pinched wire, or shorted component in the circuit. Autozone.com/repairinfo has some basic wiring diagrams.

rhenryjr
06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Took the dash apart, pulled out the stereo, put it back together, and it started working just fine. Next up was a catalytic converter change and then the motor started cutting out at around 180 degrees. I'm going to replace the coil and ICM next, and I hope to be through with the problems for a while.

rhenryjr
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Got me scratching my head now. I replaced the coil and ICM, but the car still cuts out at 185 degrees and up. It doesn't shut off, just kind of misses at the higher temps. My cooling fan won't run unless the A/C is on either.:banghead:
Any ideas?

maxwedge
07-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Got me scratching my head now. I replaced the coil and ICM, but the car still cuts out at 185 degrees and up. It doesn't shut off, just kind of misses at the higher temps. My cooling fan won't run unless the A/C is on either.:banghead:
Any ideas?
Confirm good fuel pressure at that temp when this happens, if ok, look at the harness form the crank sensor to the icm and/or repl the sensor. You say higher temps but what driving conditions?

rhenryjr
07-06-2006, 07:36 AM
I pretty much just drive this car to work. I work out of town so it's 65 mph for an hour 5 days a week. I have to slow down once to merge on to a different highway going to work, and I have to stop once to change back once on the way home. I live in SE Kansas so it's kind of warm in the summer (dang hot for the last couple of years!)

Add your comment to this topic!