Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How Can I Stop The Seat Belt Beeping?

CBSupersonic
07-22-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi,
I have a 1991 Honda Accord, and since I bought the car used from a friend a couple of years ago it has sporadically beeped as though the seat belts aren't buckled -- even when they are! I took it to a mechanic and they checked the seatbelts and made sure that they are safe and operational, and they are. The stupid thing keeps beeping though! They said it might be a fuse problem or something, but I have no money for them to try to solve it, so do any of you know any tricks/solutions to stop the seat belt warning beeping sound? Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Chris

diesel_uk
07-28-2002, 02:46 PM
there must be a switch loxcated by the seat belt clip have a look and see if there are any wires locted nnea the belt.Have to admit its the first time i have heard of that i thought that was only in mercs and volvo's etc

esp
07-31-2002, 02:32 PM
find the wire that is located at the bottom of the seatbelt clip and simply cut the wire that sends the signal to the ecu and you shouldn't have anymore problems with the beeping.:D

diesel_uk
07-31-2002, 03:03 PM
i still have not seen a honda with a seatbelt bleeper

mysupercivic
10-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi - I know the original thread was posted a long time ago, but for those who my be searching and come across it in the future...

I recently bought a 90 civic and my belt buckles beep inappropriately, as well. You may not know it, but the seatbelts and their parts are covered by a lifetime warranty to be replaced free for the life of the vehicle, thru any honda dealer.

A more pressing issue (though maybe not as annoying) comes into play here: there was a recall for honda seatbelt buckles, for hondas manufactured in the late 80's thru early 90's. Seems as though the pieces in the buckle are prone to breakage.

Recall details can be found here: http://www.carsmart.com/content/own/service/index.cfm?id=10007;CRSM&action=recalls

just enter your year, model, and trim...

I asked my local dealer about the seat belt buckles beeping and if my car's buckles had not already been replaced, would that fix the problem. They said they hadn't been replaced yet, and that replacing the buckles, as per the recall, would correct the beeping problem. They then ordered the part for me. In the meantime, I just keep my passenger side buckled, whether or not someone's in it. You may be hearing the pass side and thinking it would only beep for the driver's side.

Good luck!

m

MIZSHELRED2
11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I have a 1991 Honda Accord, and since I bought the car used from a friend a couple of years ago it has sporadically beeped as though the seat belts aren't buckled -- even when they are! I took it to a mechanic and they checked the seatbelts and made sure that they are safe and operational, and they are. The stupid thing keeps beeping though! They said it might be a fuse problem or something, but I have no money for them to try to solve it, so do any of you know any tricks/solutions to stop the seat belt warning beeping sound? Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Chris

I BOUGHT A 91 HONDA CIVIC JUST THREE DAYS AGO. AND THE BEEPING WOULDN'T STOP. FUSES WERE FINE. SO UNDER THE DASH I DISCONNECTED THE WIRE. THAT WAY IF THEY EVER COME UP WITH A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM.....NO CUT WIRES.
MICHELLE

BlueBurr
01-12-2004, 07:12 PM
My civic didnt have a beeping noise a light just stayed on in the car until i put my seat belt on.try looking directly under the seat and see if there is a wire under there if so disconnect it and it will solve the problem,thats what i did hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!