Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Tacoma suspension upgrade

L25
05-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a 1999 Tacoma regular cab 2WD. I want to upgrade the suspension so I can haul heavier loads, maybe pull a small trailer.

It seems with even a fairly light load, less than 500 pounds maybe, the springs are flatend out and the the truck does not handle well. I have brand new bilsteins in the back. I don't necessarily want a lift, but maybe that's what I need to do? Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

Flash75
05-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Jeff; Overload springs should help without lifting the truck. Lifting raises the height but may not help with the load capacity. Hellwig makes overlaod springs for small trucks, one source is here.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/helper_springs.html?mv_pc=google_helper_springs
Supersprings also makes overload springs. A source for them is;
http://www.loadandtow.com/
I believe the Supersprings for 2 wheel drive trucks require cutting the rear bump stops.

I have not tried either of these products and have no experienced with either link, but if I needed to carry heavier loads I would try overload springs before lifting the truck. Lifting can also cause some handling problems.

I noticed JC Whitney have Hellwig products, but you may not save any money due to their high shipping charges.

Clifton

L25
05-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Should I consider adding a leaf or even replacing the leaf springs. The hellwigs definetly look like the easiest solution. A while back I saw some sort of leaf spring replacement that looked like a one piece shaped piece of steel (looked like an archers bow). Also would sway bars help much? http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/7620T.html

Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

Flash75
05-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Jeff, Going to springs with a higher load rating will help when carrying a load but your empty truck ride will be compromised. The Supersprings are about the same as add a leaf springs. In theory they shouldn't affect the ride quality. Your truck should already have a front anti-roll bar, if you add a rear bar the front will probably need a bigger bar to balance the handling to keep the truck from over-steering. The bar would not do anything for the rear dropping when loaded, addind bars will make a vehicle lean less in corners.

I noted you mentioned you have switched to new Bilsteins in the rear. You didn't say if the front shocks have been changed. If not adding new matching Bilsteins to the front will probably improve handling.

All the small trucks I have owned handled worse with a load, but I don't carry a load often enough to correct the problem. If you plan to trailer try keeping the tongue weight down. You don't want the tongue weight too low because the trailer will not feel stable when towing. I don't know if air shocks are available for a Tacoma but you may want to check. You can air up the shocks when carrying a load and reduce the pressure for normal use.

Clifton

L25
05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Add your comment to this topic!