Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Shadow whistling fuel pump?

JH32552
05-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Guys!

I just got a 1994 Shadow from a friend. For the 1st 50 miles the car ran fine, but now has a strange whistling thing going on. When you first turn on the key, you hear a short whistle, then when it starts the whistle is non stop. I'm not sure if it's a whistle or a high electrical whine, but it's annoying! If you walk to the rear of the car it's even worse! I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump. Does that sound right to you? I went online and checked for a price and they want $150 for a pump!!!!!! Are they serious? Can these fuel pumps be repaired? I'm afraid you're going to be seeing a lot of my posts here, and I hope you guys can help a gal out!

Thanks for any help you can give!
Jackie

KManiac
05-10-2006, 10:43 PM
The annoying noise you hear is in fact your fuel pump. This thing is mounted in the gas tank. That is why you hear it louder at the rear of the car. Noisy doesn't necessarily mean it is bad, just annoying. My opinion is to continue to drive it as is until it decides to stop working. If you are concerned about the condition of the pump, you can buy a fuel system testing kit from a good auto parts store. It contains pressure gauges and hoses that allow you to test the pressure of the fuel in the system while the car is running. It is good to get a service manual and be a little mechanically inclined.

Should you decide to replace it, you will have to at least loosen the tank retaining straps to allow it to drop a bit to provide clearance to pull out and reinstall the pump or just drop the gas tank out of the car completely.

So you can get a new fuel pump for $150? I just replaced the fuel pump in my Shadow (with Turbo engine) and paid $180. I put it in myself.

The Shadow is a pretty good car, at least from my experience. I bought mine slightly used in 1993 with 12,000 miles on the odometer. It now has 116,000 miles and now I need to replace the head gasket as I am now blowing exhaust gases through the cooling system. I will report on this job in the future as it unfolds. Let us know if you have any other questions or comments about your car.

JH32552
05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
[quote=KManiac]My opinion is to continue to drive it as is until it decides to stop working.

Thanks so much for your reply!!!!!

Hmmmmm...... driving it with this thing whistling scares me. I live in the boonies and I'm afraid that the little bugger will just quit on me and leave me stranded. Cell phones don't even work where I live! LOL!!! Will is just quit pumping or will it be a slow death enabling me to get her home?

This is a Shadow ES with 88,000 miles on it. Believe it or not, I got it from a 90 year old woman who drove it almost daily until January when she fell and broke her shoulder.

KManiac
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
More often than not, these fuel pumps fail quickly, without warning. The only symptom is a car that won't run.

To paraphrase a well known commercial:

Fuel pump, $150 ...Piece of Mind, Priceless!

It won't hurt to go ahead and replace it. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can plan the job and conveniently run your gas tank to empty before you start. The original fuel pump in my Shadow tested as good at 114,000 miles. However, I had to drop the gas tank to repair a stripped retaining strap nut and decided to change the pump while I had the tank out. An example of "piece of mind".

A 1994 Shadow ES, you say. Is this a 2-door or 4-door? And what size engine, 2.5 four cylinder or 3.0 v6?

My avatar picture is my 1991 Shadow ES convertible with 2.5 Turbo and automatic. Nice car with only 116,000 miles. I have to park it now to change the head gasket. I hear this is a common problem with the Chrysler four cylinders.

JH32552
05-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, it is a Shadow ES with a 2.5

Here's a picture:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/AdkGal/5-03-06002resized.jpg

JH32552
06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
I found this fuel pump on eBay today. Do you think this is too good to be true? I would hate to install a pump to save some serious money only to have the pump die in the middle of the winter.

Question: Would YOU buy this pump?
eBay Motors: NEW Fuel Pump Plymouth Dodge Neon Shadow Spirit Stratus (item 8074675648 end time Jun-21-06 17:54:09 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8074675648&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

Jackie

KManiac
06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Jackie: (...you better not say that on an airplane.)

The fuel pump pictured on e-bay does not look like the pump I just replaced in my Shadow. I don't have that "warm & fuzzy" feeling looking at that advertisement. I would pass on that.

JH32552
06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your input KMechanic. I had a feeling it was just too good to be true. I guess I'll just have to wait a while longer 'til I can afford the one here in town for $154.99. Sheeeeeesch!

Jackie

Add your comment to this topic!