Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95.5 Passport Maintenance/Repair costs

retainer55
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Hello:

I have that horrible ticking noise, and took it to my local Isuzu dealer in Denver, CO. I have a stock 95.5 Passport EX 5spd that I regularly beat the crap out of in the mountains. I just wanted to run these prices by you guys to see if they sounded right:

Timing Belt & Tensioner - $418.
Waterpump (said there was a small leak - $280.
Clean EGR & upper intake - $139.
Front Brake pads & machine front rotors - $410
Machine rear rotors - $115.
Flush PWR Steering (said there were bits of metal) - $139.
Tune-up - $125.

These prices are all before tax. Please let me know in what order I should have all this done (only really have $ more the timing belt and tensioner right now), and if there is anything else I should make sure they do when they have a car apart. Thanks for the hoses suggestion on the other thread,Ramlbin. I have very limited funds right since the Vet bills own me. :shakehead

amigo-2k
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Sounds right.

Over priced since you have to do the above to get to it. It should be about 15 minutes of labor on top of the cost of the pump (200).

I've seen this for 90 bucks at my dealer (isn't going to help the ticking).

My dealer charges 130 for pad replacement only. So this is way out there for price (buy the pads from st. charles and then take it to a brake shop to replace).

you could replace them for that price (head else where; do they really need machining?).

way over priced. I do this once a year in my driveway. 1 qt of tranny fluid and 30 minutes.

Tune-up - $125.

Which includes??? Plugs/belts/flush the water? If this hasn't been done in 50k I would do it.

Ask them what the cost is to just replace the water pump. If it is 280 (assuming you are doing the belt too) I would run away (SCAM SCAM SCAM).

Ramblin Fever
05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Ditto - you're already paying for the "break-down" if you will to get to the timing belt, tensioner, they should not charge you extra labor for the waterpump.

But yes, the waterpump IS necessary at this point - if it's leaking, for sure, as well as age alone.

The EGR, Throttle body, you can clean that yourself with a $3 dollar can of air intake cleaner and a handful of shop rags, a wrench, a flathead and a phillips. I would NOT pay for this service at that price.

Rotors - not sure, I have 155k on mine, have yet to be turned or replaced. Do they REALLY need it?

Figure out what the tune-up includes - definitely do the spark plugs, radiator flush (again, they'll be right here with the timing belt package), fuel filter, differential fluid checks/refills and your transfer case.

Do NOT let them put in an air filter, they'll likely charge you $30 for one that you can get for $10.

Which Isuzu dealership are you getting your quotes from?

You mentioned Vet bills, pup or kitten? Take it he/she's not doing too well? That's sooo hard.

Gizmo42
05-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Tune-up - $125.

I would look for a smaller shop with cheaper labor rates then the dealer. Or a couple shops for different things. Some of that you can easily do yourself if you know what a wrench and screwdriver look like. There is someone on one of these forums that had never even changed their own oil until last year, he recently rebuilt an automatic transmission which is something I wont even do (have been working on cars all my life).

Here are some prices I got from Tynans last september when I bought my rodeo, no way would I pay their prices.

Replace timing belt (v6) $499.99
Replace front pads, repack bearings, resurface rotors $369.99 (cost me $60 doing the work myself)
Replace rear pads/shoes and resurface $229.99 (cost me $50 doing it myself)
Replace PCV, clean EGR, Clean tube $189.99 (cost me the price of a gasket and can of cleaner)
Replace platinum plugs 1995.5 & newer $211.50 ($43 for a set of double platinums from sparkplugs.com shipped)

retainer55
05-10-2006, 11:30 PM
The dealership is Denver Isuzu off of 104th Ave. I called them before I posted this and told them I wasn't sure if I could afford all of this, and they told me if I wanted to come pick it up, they were still going to charge me $85. for the diagnostic service. If I at least got the Timing Belt and Tensioner done, they would waive this fee :disappoin . The truck currently has about 97,000 miles on it.

I will call them tomorrow and ask what the deal is with the water pump. I am positive he said $280 though, and that was assuming I'd also get the timing belt and other things done there.

Is the water pump a feasible DIY job once the timing belt and tensioner have been changed? My buddy can help and has done about 5 of them, none however on a Rodeo/Passport.

They are talking about $450 with tax for the TB & tensioner - should I demand they do the water pump for ~200? What of this can I really do myself?

ps. It's my 12 yr old Golden Retriever, and she's still a good fishing buddy, thanks for asking :)

Ramblin Fever
05-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Only problem with doing the waterpump AFTER the fact, is the pump is behind the timing belt/tensioner. In which case, it all has to come off again.

Not easy set-ups, I know.

What's your fishing buddy's name??

retainer55
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Only problem with doing the waterpump AFTER the fact, is the pump is behind the timing belt/tensioner. In which case, it all has to come off again.

Not easy set-ups, I know.

What's your fishing buddy's name??

Damn! That's what I was afraid of. Notice how the dealer didn't say anythng about the water pump needing to be done with the TB & tensioner. I'll call and post the outcome.

ps: I know its off topic here's my dog Peaches. I know, I know.... my mother named her, lol.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4439528

Ramblin Fever
05-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Nice rig, Nice puppy!

Where about's is it that you go fishing?

bishop242
05-11-2006, 09:41 AM
My estimate for new front rotors + pads and turning rear rotors + new pads
was $500.00

I bought all the parts for $130.00, had my shop turn the rear rotors for $20.00 and dit it myself.

Gizmo42
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I would try to get them down on price for the water pump and have them do it the same time as the timing belt. Aftermarket pumps run about $60-100 and its not much more labor once the timing belt is off. For the rest you can either take it somewhere else or do it yourself.

Brake pads are easy to do. Takes a little bit more mechanical ability to pull the front hubs off to get them turned. I only have them turned if they are warped or in rough shape. Otherwise I just change brake pads and call it good.

The tune up and egr cleaning stuff you can easily do yourself. Just look at the FAQ in Amigo 2k's sig and it details how to do it.

retainer55
05-18-2006, 07:59 PM
So the frickin' saga comes to a close.....

Basically, the service manager "Todd" at Denver Isuzu is a damn liar. I called today intending to pick up the truck tomorrow, and asked for the total (they only replaced the TB & Tensioners) and he told me $575 out the door:banghead: . When I had called last week, he quoted me $418 + tax. and said it should work out to be no more than $450 total. :newburn:

When I reminded him of the fact that he said he'd waive the $85 diagnostic fee, he tried to play dumb- "duh...when did I say that?". When I explained he quoted me that last week, and I recorded the call (really did actually), he got all defiant "Well, let me hear it!" he says. But he wouldn't give me his email address to send it to him :shakehead . But after a few minutes, he called me back and is now saying $475.32 total. He also told me that there is a law in CO that states the dealer can charge you up to 10% over what you were quoted and still be in the right- is this BS or what?

Then he also told me that if I wanted the water pump replaced now, it would be at least $400. I understand that there is a little seepage going on with the water pump, so I will get that replaced soon - anybody have an idea of just how long I might be able to wait on that??

In either case, I feel totally ripped off. I am going to pick up my truck tomorrow, pay this POS Service Manager the $475.32, and probably exchange a few words in the process. :evillol: I just hope he doesn't try to break anything on my truck tonight becuase of the words we exchanged today...

The good news, however, is that I found a certified Isuzu mechanic that used to work at Tynan by the name of Jeff Engel to do all my other work for literally half what Denver Isuzu charges. Jeff works independently now, and he quoted me about $200 total to install a new waterpump (aftermarket). I will see if he works out, and let the Colorado board members know if he's legit. Does anyone have anything to say about aftermarket vs. OEM waterpumps?

In either case, the moral is: STAY AWAY FROM DENVER ISUZU SERVICE :banghead:

Gizmo42
05-19-2006, 12:23 AM
And dealership mechanics wonder why nobody trusts them :shakehead

The only honest service manager I ever talked to was at cherry creek dodge (a Doug Moreland dealership no less). He saved me from wasting $700 to replace a noisey oil pump that could go another several hundred thousand miles without getting any worse.

Tynans tried to rip me off once. Back when I had my '84 P'up (I think that was in '89 or '90) they tried to tell me there were no rebuilt starters for them. But they would sell me a new factory one for $600. I stopped at the NAPA distribution center on the way home and bought a rebuilt one for $160. Then got to change it in -12* temperatures :banghead:

Hopefully this other guy works out. I might see what he wants to replace my lower control arm bushings.

Denver Isuzu is on tom martinos member list, they usually check their members out pretty well so surprises me that they would be a problem. I also found this while trying to find out who owns the place (thought maybe it would be moreland or spedding) http://www.doeuv.com/Denver-Dealer-Warning-21202.html

Add your comment to this topic!