Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 passat VR6 starting problem

Rob_277
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
i am looking at this car to buy for my wife. the guys is offering it to me for 2K as is. it's in good shape, runs like a top, and has only 90'000 miles on it. the only issue is that it has a bit of a bug in it. the guy says every now and then it will do nothing when you turn the key. but you can let it sit for about 20 minutes and it'll start right up. also when it does this it likes to start out in 2nd gear, and like to die on you. i was wondering if this was a common problem with these cars and what the source of the problem is. any help is appreciated. if i don't bite on it by the weekend the car is goint to dealer auction and will be lost for good.

crunch714
05-10-2006, 06:19 PM
You might figure the problem out but keep in mind the Passat is very expensive to maintain. Even if you do the work yourself,........I'm due for a timing belt,water pump and it's going to run a bit over $1000. I don't want to do it and the shop won't let me get my own parts. $500. will be for parts. It is a sweet car but the upkeep is very HIGH.

Rob_277
05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
i know the upkeep is gonna be a pain. my wife really wants one and any married man knows what happens when the wife doesn't get something that she really wants. if we get it i'm stocking up on preperation H because i know it's gonna be a pain in the ass. this will be by no means the first high upkeep car i've had. i have a 95 chevy montecarlo z34. that is the DOHC from hell. not to mention you have to change transmissions more than oil!

crunch714
05-12-2006, 04:54 PM
i know the upkeep is gonna be a pain. my wife really wants one and any married man knows what happens when the wife doesn't get something that she really wants. if we get it i'm stocking up on preperation H because i know it's gonna be a pain in the ass. this will be by no means the first high upkeep car i've had. i have a 95 chevy montecarlo z34. that is the DOHC from hell. not to mention you have to change transmissions more than oil!:nono: 2000 is cheap but at 90k it is due right now for the water pump and timing belt, not saying don't buy it. mine (HERS) is going in the shop next Thurs and I was quoted $950.:smokin:

rebecca525
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I would run as far as you can from this car. I have a 96 passat VR6 that had the same problem. Once they got the car to start all the time they told me that I needed my tranny replaced. $2000 later my car still doesnt run!:banghead:

crunch714
05-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Whatever,........nice car,....take care of it. Lots of things need to be done by someone qualified,.....and although I feel good doing most anything on my ford, and GMC,(AND PROSTREET 64 CHEV TPI) the dealer can do the work on the vw.:banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!