Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ARRRRGGGHHH (question)

tazdev
07-22-2002, 12:39 AM
During this weekend I found out that the 2 10 inch subs I had in the back of my car had BOTH blown. These had been in the car for almost a year and a half with no worries at all.

What would be a likely cause for them both to blow?:confused:

Is it possibly a problem with the amp? I ask this because I have 2 new 12 inch subs about to be boxed up and installed, but if it is likely an amp fault then I don't want to risk connecting them.

any help would be greatly appreciated

ShiftKnob
07-22-2002, 11:39 AM
It really depends on how you were using them, what kind of enclosure, amp size, etc. If you gave them too much power (turned up too loud, power-on buzz) then they certainly will blow. Also, if you blow one sub, especially in a ported bandpass or a sealed enclosure, you will almost always blow the other, because the unblown sub will freely vibrate without pressure from one side to keep it from tearing itself.

I don't think I've ever heard of a faulty amp blowing subwoofers if the subs can handle all the power the amp puts out - worst case scenario, a faulty amp rated at 1000 watts constantly puts out max power as a square wave - if your subs can handle all that power, it'll just sound really bad.

Regardless, that really sucks. Hope things work out better with the new ones.

ShiftKnob

swedish
07-22-2002, 11:48 AM
well, if you're buying the subs new, the best idea is to get a warranty, it's really not a rip off, my friend has blown 7 pairs of subs, and paid for 2 (when switching brands). that way if it is your amp, you get to find out for free and still get the subs back.

tazdev
07-23-2002, 06:11 AM
the box was sealed with 2 seperate areas.

talking to the guys I brought the stuff off today and they think that the amp may have gone DC (whatever that means) so it has gone off to the company that produce them to be checked.

hopefully it is still ok so I don't have to spend too much more money.

tazdev
07-26-2002, 11:21 PM
well the box is made and the new subs are in, now I just have to wait and hear back if the amp is f$#ked or not. The company has so much repair work that it will take 10 days before they can even look at the amp:eek: .

thats the last time I buy one of their products:(

tazdev
08-02-2002, 06:01 AM
turns out it was a problem with the amplifier that caused both the subs to blow.

$118 NZ to repair it (the amp is only worth $350 NZ:( ) now I just have to wait to get it back. I miss my bass

Whitey001
08-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Oh well but distortion or underpowering can also caust that:greenchai

Add your comment to this topic!