Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

R32 GTS-t type M 1990

nanook
07-21-2002, 11:37 PM
I have R32 GTS-t type M 1990

I have terrible problem with Hicas it first became apparent when my battery started to fail.
After turning on vehicle it would take a few minutes for the hicas light to start flickering on and off as it did this there is a thumping sound coming from under hood.(a pipe is jumping)
The problem seemed to improve after I replaced the battery but it is still happening just takes a bit longer. (sometimes straight away)
It does happen when the lights are off but is most easy to get fault on if battery is loaded up.
i.e. Full Beam, indicators going etc. Moving steering or pressing brake pedal makes it worse. If I turn the lights off it stops for a while, going from Hi to Low beam brings Hicas light on.
I did the hicas diag as I read on this site but had no fault codes.

Please Help Oh Great Skyline God!!

Doughnutdemon
07-23-2002, 01:19 PM
From what I've been told HICAS doesn't like low voltage.

Sounds mostly like your drive belt to the power steering pump is bad, though.Either that or the pump itself is shot.

=ByTcHSlAppA=
08-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Had the same problem after pushing the car AMP's for a while - the battery power dropped and the HICAS failed. But what I did notice that the alternator wasn't throwing out much power - I would check that and see what sorta AMP's its throwing out.

BTW - I fried the alternator when I didn't do anything about it... :D

Doughnutdemon
12-31-2002, 04:05 PM
In the R32 the HICAS gets hydraulic power from the power steering pump. Check the belt and the pump to ensure they are ok. Diagnostics only work on the electronics and the sensors, not on the mechanical elements.

Lanzy61
06-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Check Your Power Steering Fluid As Soon As You Get Low The Light Comes On You Dont Know How Many People With The Hicas Light On Dont Check The Fluid I Have At Least 3 People A Week Comming In For The Same Reason

Add your comment to this topic!