Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Saturn SL2: Odometer failure?

$ilv3rado
05-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey all,

I noticed a few days ago that my odometer and my mileage counter isn't rolling over anymore. I think it's only been like this for only a few days, but I thought this was an odd part to just stop working. All my other gauges such as speedometer and tachometer have been and are working fine (knock on wood). Does anyone have any suggestions to fixing this manually? Are Saturns of this year/model know for this type of problem? If this isn't one of those 'do it yourself' deals, then how much does one think it would cost?

Odometer stopped at: 179,729

Let me know if I left anything out that needs mentioning, please.
Your help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.:wink:

sierrap615
05-09-2006, 12:24 AM
in fact, it is a common problem on early saturns, the cause is most commonly(99%+) traced to a broken odometer gear. the good new is you don't need to replace the entire cluster.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48348&;

don't forget to manually update the mileage with a approxament figure.

$ilv3rado
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
in fact, it is a common problem on early saturns, the cause is most commonly(99%+) traced to a broken odometer gear. the good new is you don't need to replace the entire cluster.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48348&;

don't forget to manually update the mileage with a approxament figure.

Thanks for the info, sierrap615. Again, odd part to 'go out', but makes sense. Although, buying both of those gears w/s&h actually costs a few $ more than buying a new cluster ( http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=24&chapter=DP8V00&appSectionid=3&groupid=10030&subgroupid=60853&make=31&model=Sl%20series&year=1994&catalogid=1 ) O_o

Thanks for the help. :)

sierrap615
05-12-2006, 01:54 AM
interesting, i imagine the price on trademotion is typo. it should be closer to the $450 price

Mbriggs
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
$ilv3rado,

I have a 92 SL with the same problem. Did you ever get yours fixed? Was that a typo on the cluster price? Please let me know.

Thanks!

$ilv3rado
08-14-2006, 10:22 PM
$ilv3rado,

I have a 92 SL with the same problem. Did you ever get yours fixed? Was that a typo on the cluster price? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hey Mbriggs,

I never did go through the trouble of replacing the gear in mine. I never really have the time to pull it all apart, and apparently you have to send the entire instrument cluster off to get one repaired/replaced around here. I've just left mine the way it is, and record the oil changes by the months so I'll have an estimated due date.

I'm not sure if that's a typo on the cluster price or not...if it is then they still haven't fixed it which is kind of odd. I suppose you could always contact the owners of the site about it though.

Hope that helps.

vlhgsd
09-08-2006, 10:56 PM
When I bought my SOHC, it had a cluster for a DOHC so speed was off. Bought the correct cluster off of ebay, had to replace some bulbs, but my 13 yr old son had the dash off and steering wheel dropped and done in about 30 minutes. Not hard at all. Here in Florida, I didn't worry about the odometer mileage since any car over 10 yrs old you can have mileage exempted which is what I did when I bought it.

Add your comment to this topic!