Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about Impala's Power

JJ Newel
05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm just curious, have any of you been able to do a small burnout or at least squeel the tires on a fast start with the impala? I have the '02 Impala 3.4L and can't even get the tires to squeel, the wierd thing is I also have an 03 chevy venture with the same engine around the same miles and can squeel the tires easily and it is much faster than my impala and it's a VAN.

57chevyragtop
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm just curious, have any of you been able to do a small burnout or at least squeel the tires on a fast start with the impala? I have the '02 Impala 3.4L and can't even get the tires to squeel, the wierd thing is I also have an 03 chevy venture with the same engine around the same miles and can squeel the tires easily and it is much faster than my impala and it's a VAN.
Good question. I have the same year and engine impala but have not tried to do a peel out. I don't really expect to be able too. As for being able to do so in the Venture is probably due to the weight of the van vs. the sedan being greater or the distribution of the wt. I don't think the torque and HP rating is any different. The big thing for me is the throttle response from 50 to 70 seems a bit lame and the only answer I have come up with is the trans programming must be set up this way. Have not found anyone able to confirm this however.

victimizati0n
05-13-2006, 06:26 PM
i have an 02 impala 3.4l and i can squeal the tires... i dont even have to give it alot of gas

JJ Newel
05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
i guess my car is just really weak for some reason.

victimizati0n
05-13-2006, 07:42 PM
i guess my car is just really weak for some reason.

dunno, but acually we did it today (before i read this thread) it was pretty funny

tractorboy
05-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I have an 03 3.4L. I will try today on the way to Mothersday dinner :lol:

Marsal420
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
yeah i own a 02 impala with the 3400 series engine and i can squeel the tierd extreamly we'll and actually at some moments i can break torq which may sound alittle weird for a impala doing that but i have done it once or twice.

JJ Newel
05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
I just cant cant understand why my car doesnt and like i said before i have a van with the same engine and transmission and it can do it easily, hell even my 91 cavalier can do it.

JJ Newel
05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
what does "break torq" mean ?

Marsal420
05-15-2006, 09:37 AM
when you hold down the break and the gas pedal and the tiers spin ans tend to squel, it usually works more on rear wheel drive cars/trucks but i have done it once or twice when i first got the impala and i ahvn't tryed it since.

:frown:

victimizati0n
05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
when you hold down the break and the gas pedal and the tiers spin ans tend to squel, it usually works more on rear wheel drive cars/trucks but i have done it once or twice when i first got the impala and i ahvn't tryed it since.

:frown:

brake torquing is acually when you hit the gas and brake at the same time, and nothing is happening (tires not spinning, car not moving)

it is used for drag racing purposes.

horse482
05-15-2006, 03:01 PM
If the car has track lock, and it is turned on then that could be your problem

Marsal420
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Actually, somthing does happen the tires spin and they tend to burn if u do this, i dont know what your driving but i own the impala which i stated has done it a few times and also i own a 64 el camino and a 94 gmc sierra and both the sierra and camino break torq very nicely, :grinyes:

So in a sence break torqing can easily be accomplished with the right ammount of power to the wheels.

either way if u stat it as break torqing or burning out you have to hold the gas done in some way.

When you break torq u are staying in one spot and in some cases you may move forward alittle bit or side ways depending on the way you have the wheel as your doing this, and if u have the right ammount of power to the wheels it will burn them.

Burning out is complely differnet, it's pretty much when u are at a dead stop and you floor it.

tractorboy
05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
both my 3.4 L Impala and my 3.1 L Malibu both squeals the tires. Not as good as a friend of mines Cadi-camino . It was half Cadillac Eldorado and the back of an Elcamino. He used it for towing his boat. He could light up the tires by just mashing down on the gas, looked strange in a way from the front tires.

mikejohnson
06-10-2006, 12:49 AM
If the car has track lock, and it is turned on then that could be your problem

Thats it. you have to turn your automatic traction control off by hitting the button on the dash. just 2 nights ago i put down a good 15-20 foot tread marks in a freshly paved parking lot. hold it in drive, push your brake hard, get the RPMs to about 3500 (im sure u could go higher, dont wanna work the engine to hard) and just let go of the brake

just remember, trac control off

Add your comment to this topic!