Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical question

Eagalicious
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I have searched and found that no one has asked this so; On the back of the guage cluster you have x2 3w bulbs. 1 is for the highbeam light. I was wondering if I bought the grey 3w sockets and the bulbs, could I dremmel the regular bulb socket holes out and use the 3w bulbs in there. Would it work?
I am trying to get brighter light back behind the guage faces. It's too dim for my taste.

Thanks in advance.:icon16:

John

david-b
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I've always hated how dark the stock gauges are. IDK the answer though. Seems like you should be able to.

I remember somewhere actually used LEDs in place of all the lights. It looked hot! It did take alittle work though.

Eagalicious
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I saw a guy on DSMTuners do LED's for his cluster and he showed the back of it and it had wires everywhere. It looked nice but I don't want to do all that soldering and stuff if I don't have to.
If I put one of the 3w bulbs in one of the regular sockets, would I burn out anything if I tried it or would it just not work?
I was also thinking of painting the inside back wall of the cluster with chrome paint or lining it with mirror like reflective material to help disperse the light more, like on a flashlight.

defiancy
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I saw a guy on DSMTuners do LED's for his cluster and he showed the back of it and it had wires everywhere. It looked nice but I don't want to do all that soldering and stuff if I don't have to.
If I put one of the 3w bulbs in one of the regular sockets, would I burn out anything if I tried it or would it just not work?
I was also thinking of painting the inside back wall of the cluster with chrome paint or lining it with mirror like reflective material to help disperse the light more, like on a flashlight.

Well with anything if you put a higher wattage bulb in the socket it will be brighter. You do run a risk however of blowing that bulb. But I think since it's not really to much of a difference as long as you can get the bulb to fit in the socket I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

ez1286
05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Why not just get different gauges? You can get black faced gauges on ebay abd you can gey the needle led kit that i got.

Add your comment to this topic!