Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Golf Mk4 Gti 1.8t Intermittent Loss Of Power

MR JOSHUA
05-08-2006, 05:13 PM
The car will be running fine then it just loses power and refuses to accelarate, it then becomes jerky as if the throttle is being stamped on and off, it then won't idle and soon after it cuts out (not good at a junction or set of lights), it then starts ok. It will do this a couple of times and then run ok for a day or two and then the problem starts again. Any advice to help sort this problem would be much appreciated.

circus20v
07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
The car will be running fine then it just loses power and refuses to accelarate, it then becomes jerky as if the throttle is being stamped on and off, it then won't idle and soon after it cuts out (not good at a junction or set of lights), it then starts ok. It will do this a couple of times and then run ok for a day or two and then the problem starts again. Any advice to help sort this problem would be much appreciated.
i am willing to bet your coil packs are taking a dump. common issue, and was even out as a TSB to the dealers. i know i had a set taken care of under warr.

VeeDubb_337
07-06-2006, 10:35 PM
i had same problem but it wasnt coil packs, it was maf sensor disconnected, check that first, could be fixed in 20 seconds.

circus20v
07-07-2006, 08:52 AM
i had same problem but it wasnt coil packs, it was maf sensor disconnected, check that first, could be fixed in 20 seconds.
with the maf unplugged, it would do it at all times?

MR JOSHUA
07-07-2006, 03:19 PM
i am willing to bet your coil packs are taking a dump. common issue, and was even out as a TSB to the dealers. i know i had a set taken care of under warr.
Thank you for the advice, it turned out to be a faulty MAF sensor, initially i removed and cleaned the throttle body, put some injection cleaner through the fuel system but the day after the problem reoccured, it's been just over 2 weeks since i swapped the MAF sensor and touch wood it's running ok.

MR JOSHUA
07-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the help, it was MAF sensor failure.

Add your comment to this topic!