Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vr6 engine swap for '87 GLI 16v...possible?

topherGLI
07-21-2002, 06:27 PM
I have a question. I just bought an '87 Jetta GLI 16v. Now the engine isn't bad that's in it but I got smoked by a CRX Si with intake, exaust, and camgears. Now I know the conversion is possible but I don't know if I need to do any customizing to make it fit or where to buy a cheap vr6 crated engine? If anyone knows anything about the swap or if anyone knows where I can get a new VR6 engine for pretty cheap then REPLY!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Deakins
07-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Doing an engine swap is a big job, have you tried it before?
To do a VR6 swap, you basically need a VR6 donor car.
I haven’t done it before, but I have witnessed it. [It was an mk3 VR6 swap, but I think the same goes for the mk2]

You have to get a “few” parts from your VR6 donor car;
You will need the entire motor and transmission, subframe, ecu, engine and cluster wiring harness, washer wiper stalks with MFA controls, clutch master and slave cylinders with hydralic lines and the little re-inforcing bracket for the pedal cluster, the vr clutch and flywheel assembly, downpipe/cat, o2 sensors, airbox, vr6 driveshafts and suspension, with brakes and lines and all that jazz, instruments, the rear beam and rear discs, cable shifter and box with cables as well as the vr6 cluster.

Think that is it.

Deakins
07-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Almost forgot: http://www.futrellautowerks.com/projects/89clvr6.htm

Add your comment to this topic!