Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DVC heats more than SVC?

JunkTitleGolf
05-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I was at circuit city and this guy told me that a dvc sub wouldn't be good for my amp because it will over heat it. Is that true. I've never heard anything like that. Or was he feeding me a line of poo just to get me to special order a SVC sub that can handle 500 rms?

sr20de4evr
05-08-2006, 12:19 AM
he's mentally retarded...or you just misunderstood him

NAVY IC
05-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I was at circuit city and this guy told me that a dvc sub wouldn't be good for my amp because it will over heat it. Is that true. I've never heard anything like that. Or was he feeding me a line of poo just to get me to special order a SVC sub that can handle 500 rms?

It sounds like some important parts of the conversation are being left out. Was he saying that in response to you wanting to go with a particular wiring setup for some particular pieces of equipment...?? You would really have to mis-match your set-up in regards to other variables more so than the DVC/SVC issue.

JunkTitleGolf
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
No I went in and they did that whole rush you and ask you if you need help to try to make comission thing. And I told him I need 2 subs that can handle 500 rms and he asked me what amp it was then told me that he doesn't carry any SVC that could handle that and a DVC would overheat my amp.

pre98zetec
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
circuit city isnt commission, AFAIK.

besides, why would you even ask for help just go look around.

CBFryman
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
amp sees load. That is it. So if it is seeing a load which it is stable at, it will be happy assumieng you arent over driving the amp wit hthe volume knob.

so im with SR20

what you may have misunderstood what he was say is as follows.

Say you where deviding between a 4ohm SVC driver and a Dual 4ohm Driver. Your amps isonly 4ohm stable. Buying the D4 will do one of three things. 1.) wire at 8ohm cuting your power ouput in half assumeing your amp is not regulated. 2.) wire to 2ohm and give the amp too low of a load resulting in protection or overheating or clipping or a mixture of any of the three. 3.) only power one coil cutting your thermal handleing in half along with efficency and Bl caysing alot of other parameters to change drastically.

Add your comment to this topic!