98 GMC Jimmy Fuel pump replacement

blazern00b
05-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I just did this on my own truck and have a few for what its worth's.....

Pull the truck up onto ramps under the rear wheels if possible. It makes it easier to work on the part of the fuel tank where the hoses and lines are.

There is a small clamp that goes over the filler line and holds it to the frame. Be sure to remove this to aide in removal of the lines.

On the front of the tank (closest to the fuel filter actually) there indeed IS another line. Be careful of this, as others have broken them. It uses two clamps to hold the rubber line onto the tank as well as to the fuel line.

Replace the filter while you are doing the job. You have to de-pressurize the system anyway at the filter. Might as well replace it, as you should be doing so at least once a year anyway!

I picked up a special tool from my Matco dealer to remove fuel lines, I donít have it with me so i can not look up the part number but it aides in squeezing the fuel line retainer down so the line pops off. Very slick tool.

The Chilton's manual stated that you will need to use a brass drift or wood dowel to remove the pump once its out. My truck used a retainer clamp. You just take a pair of needle nose pliers, gently squeeze the clamp together and it comes off. They make special pliers for these too, which is what we used as we had a set already.

When putting the pump back in, lube the gasket with a TINY bit of motor oil. It helps as the gasket is extremely tight.

When putting the line up at the front of the tank back on, again use a tiny bit of oil. It will slide right back onto the metal line.

Again, small amount of oil when replacing the fuel filler line and return line back onto the tank.

Also, try and listen for your pump to go out. I was not paying enough attention as i normally do, and happened to have filled the fuel tank full about 4 days prior. When the pump crapped out, it was still 3/4 of a tank full. I had to siphon out about 11 gallons of fuel with a crappy Harbor Freight siphon pump.

jeddi20
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
my friend, you just saved my life. i was working on it for a pretty good while before i decided to quit. i noticed the line up front, but i thought it ran across the tank and went elsewhere. on the in lines, how do you remove the rubber hoses without cutting them? i removed the straps and its kinda just floating in mid air. i'm gonna get some rest i worked 12 hrs last night then had this job thrust upon me at 8 this morning. when you get frustrated, its time to sleep:banghead:

blazern00b
05-08-2006, 01:30 AM
my friend, you just saved my life. i was working on it for a pretty good while before i decided to quit. i noticed the line up front, but i thought it ran across the tank and went elsewhere. on the in lines, how do you remove the rubber hoses without cutting them? i removed the straps and its kinda just floating in mid air. i'm gonna get some rest i worked 12 hrs last night then had this job thrust upon me at 8 this morning. when you get frustrated, its time to sleep:banghead:

You must be speaking of the filler lines?

If so, remove the clamp that holds the soild piece of the filler line to the frame
then undo the hose clamps where the pipe takes its 90* bend coming from the filler input (where you put the nozzle). at this point you should be under the car. Use a small screwdriver to GENTLY work under the hose from the filler input where it is attached to the solid pipe. Work it loose and then wiggle it off. Do the same if you can around the gas tank input. We went to a specialty plumbing store and bought a special set of pliers that look like adjustable plumbers pliers but where the teeth are, its plastic so you dont destroy the hose. That helped to give some grip on the rubber. My father was working on this specific part himself as I was getting fuel all over my arms removing the filter and releasing the pressure. It took him about 30 minutes to loosen it up. Work slowly, don't rush. Good luck.

blazern00b
05-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Add on another FWIW:

Before removing the three lines on the pump, mark them using colored zip ties. Tie off on the hose side, dont cinch them down real tight, just snug so they don't work off. Then mark the orentation down on a note space. I marked mine "Looking from rear of vehicle at pump, left to right." and then marked the colors, which in my case were yellow, red, and blue.

jeddi20
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
ok, it took along time but i finally finished it. a few tips from my end
-make sure you know if you have an 18gal tank or not {i had to exchange for the correct one.}
-dropping the tank with fuel in it is easy, putting it back up with fuel in it is damn near impossible.
-move the rear fuel hoses from the tank to the intake lines.
-(its against the rules) if the old tank seal won't work, reuse the old one.
-tank straps are a mother. period

other than that it went fairly well took about 5 hrs to complete.

thanks again for your help.

wb8yjf
05-12-2006, 05:37 PM
ok, it took along time but i finally finished it. a few tips from my end
-make sure you know if you have an 18gal tank or not {i had to exchange for the correct one.}
-dropping the tank with fuel in it is easy, putting it back up with fuel in it is damn near impossible.
-move the rear fuel hoses from the tank to the intake lines.
-(its against the rules) if the old tank seal won't work, reuse the old one.
-tank straps are a mother. period

other than that it went fairly well took about 5 hrs to complete.

thanks again for your help.

Brother, you said it right! The straps are a MOTHER - last time I had to do that less than pleasant job of replacing the pump, BOTH straps broke! Front rusted and snapped, the rear broke at the outside of the strap (where it goes to the frame) and the bolt for the rear strap busted loose from the frame & was just spinning around....also I had just filled up (of course). NO fun - NO matter!

Add your comment to this topic!