Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Winding noise...

NateS
05-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Okay my car has sounded like this for awhile but, I finally decided to ask why. When sitting still if I tap the gas or rev a little bit the car seems to make a windy/tick sound. It is not the turbo (I know what that humming sounds like and I love it) I do not think it is the lifter tick because you can deffinatly tell the lifter tick sound from this windy sound. It just doesn't sound smooth. I was just wondering if anyone else has this noise.

racerh03
05-07-2006, 12:49 PM
do u have a aftermarket fuel pump? is it like a humming sound or something?

TreeFrog
05-07-2006, 12:53 PM
read his sig bud 255

MexRocket
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, is this sound coming from behind you? If it is, it's your fuel pump... Mine has the 255 as well, and it makes a electic like sound that emulates a whine.

If it is coming from your engine bay, it is your gaskets. (Manifold to head or turbo to manifold)

NateS
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Deffinatly sounds like it is coming from in front of me. I noticed the other day that one of the 4 bolts that go from the manifold down into the turbo are stripped or broken because it does not torque down. Would this cause the noise? I'm thinking about switching out my gaskets if this is the cause and replacing the bolt.

MexRocket
05-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes it would cause that noise. Hopefully the threads in the turbo aren't fucking up, but if they are, you can always retap it. But if the threads are fine in the turbo you can always re thread the bolt. When was the last time you replaced the gasket from the manifold to the turbo? Make sure the studs are tight on the head as well, when I first heard this noise 2 of my studs shot out, and scared the piss outta me.

blk_srt
05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Does it sould kind of like a blower? and it happens at low throttle right? I was reading on tuners that alot of times that noise is your turbo going.

NateS
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
No it is not that. I do hear that noise after I have been driving my car for awhile then let it idle. If I rev it a little bit it makes the blower noise(turbo spooling). The specific noise I am talking about is what I think the gasket/bolt situation. I think sometime this weekend I might replace all gaskets(manifold-turbo+manifold-head) and see how bad the bolt situation is.
BTW I love that blower noise... expecially in the McDonalds drive through :)

Add your comment to this topic!