Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Same 2002 Alero Intermittent Starting Problem

damorr00
05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I am having the same problem as dnelms below. My alero will not start only whe it sits in the sun and heats up. This is the only common area from the dozen or so times in the last 3 weeks it has happened. It seems to have nothing to do with engine temperature. When it happens I have sometimes tried for 15-20 minutes to start. Starter cranks, but no go...

1. Battery checked
2. replaced fuel filter

Tried leaving the windows down.. worked when temp was around 70, but yesterday it was over 80 and would not start. I left, came back in the late evening.. and it started. When it won't start, I turn the key to the on position and I do not hear the fuel pump start. The reason it won't start is obviously because it is getting no gas. I have heard the following possibilities..

1. vapor lock? bad gas cap
2. bad relay to the fuel pump (effected by heat)
3. ignition switch, possibly security.. but why only in heat?
4. wiring... could 15-20 degrees effect the wire? I mean I know it will shrink, extend but with only that much of a temp change?

If I could find the relay I would try that... does anyone have any thoughts? once started it runs no problem.

BNaylor
05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Welcome to AF.

It would be helpful if you could list your engine size and mileage so others can weigh in to help.

damorr00
05-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry about that... it is the 4 cylinder engine (2.2L I believe) with 55000 miles

JTrujillo86
05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the issue here is, but just FYI, if the car has been running, been shut of and then started again before it cools, you usually won't hear the fuel pump because there is already pressure in the lines. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Sometimes with my car if I go somwhere and let it sit for a short time and try and restart it, it takes 2 or 3 tries to get it going. It only happens when the engine is warm. It's weird...

- Jeremy

raycorri
05-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Is the Passlock 2 SECURITY light flashing when the engine doesn't crank? After you try to start, don't turn your switch back to off. Just leave it on and see which cluster lights are still illuminating. If the security light is flashing, you need to reset it.

Ray

damorr00
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
yes, checked passlock feature - not the issue
replaced fuel pump relay

sunday night it was cool, car was starting fine
i took a hair dryer on med heat and blew it on the ignition switch
it didn't get too hot but... wouldn't start
waited 30 minutes, went back out.. car started
i repeated again.. same result
car is in garage now getting new tumbler and switch
this should solve it, but nothing would surprise me