1999 V6 Passat ABS/Brake Light

ghite
05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
My Passat (116,000 mi.) has been flashing the ABS, BRAKE and OIL LAMP light warnings on my dash intermittently, beeping for 3 beeps (2-3 times a day, slow or fast speeds, using the brakes or not using the brakes) and at the same time the tachometer does not work. The shop I took it to said no codes were stored.

Do I have a bad instrument panel cluster? Are they some ABS pin connections I need to change? How would these affect the tachometer and oil pressure lamp coming on? Should I buy a new instrument panel cluster? Can I install it myself? Where do I buy them and can I change it out myself and with what tools?

Thanks.

veedubmechanic
05-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a bad cluster, but its a common problem on 98-01 passats for the abs control units going bad. VW dropped the price from about 1800.00 to about 650.00 because of this. Just wiggle the abs module connector (right next to the washer fluid resivour) when the cars running and if you hear any clicking or abs lights come on you need a new module.

ghite
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
How would the ABS control module affect the oil pressure lamp coming on and the tachometer not working? Isn't this a instrument cluster problem? Know of any cheap place to buy a used/new one? How do you reflash a used instrument cluster so I can get the accurate mileage for MY vehicle?

veedubmechanic
05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
sorry for not responding.
DOes sound like an instrument cluster issue, but b5 passats also have a common issue with abs modules.
Used at a junk yard, but only a vw dealer can code and correct mileage.

angel0343
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a 1998 Passat 2.8 and the same thing is happening to it. I had the cluster replaced and it didn't help!!! If you find out anything new please post.

veedubmechanic
07-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Replace the abs control module. Its about 500.00 new at the dealer and takes maybe 2hrs to install. You dont have to remove the brake lines either to replace it.

angel0343
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I had my passat at the shop last week and got a used abs module and it didn't work, I had it back yesterday and the tech. cleaned the wires that plugged in to the cluster. So far so good, no lights or beeps!!!! Cross your fingers and hope that it stays that way.
:wink:

veedubmechanic
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I had my passat at the shop last week and got a used abs module and it didn't work, :wink:

Thats your prob... all the old style modules have problems. A used module is most likely defective

pst1999
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I have the exact same problem as "ghite". I own a V6 1999 Passat sedan. The ABS/Brake lights intermittently started flashing (along with 3 beeps), then a couple of weeks later the engine oil pressure light started flashing in addition to the other lights and the tachometer stopped working. When that happened on July 30, I got my car towed to the dealer and they wound up replacing the oil pressure switch, but couldn't find anything else wrong. It worked fine for a day and now all 3 of the lights are back on flashing. Is it safe to drive it? Should I address the problem right away, or drive for awhile until it gets bad enough for them to diagnose the problem? thanks for any help you can give me!

veedubmechanic
08-08-2006, 11:58 AM
all they have to do is read the codes from the instrument cluster. If it says "no communication with abs module" the abs module is faulty. If they cant access the abs module with the scan tool the abs module is faulty.

airyh
08-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a 1999 4cyl PASSAT GLS ABS stays on/Brake Light flashing. I have sent the ABS control module to BBA Remanufacturing, Inc. 6 McCabe St, South Dartmouth, MA 02748 and here is there number. Toll Free: (866) 573-2740. I got there information off of ebay, the fix cost me $179 for the module plus $20.0 for shipping ($199.0 total) the problem was fixed; few days later the problem is back. I turn off the engine and the problem goes away for a day or two sometimes it comes back in two hours. I have contacted BBA Remanufacturing and they offered to inspect the unit under the warranty, but 1st they suggested to inspect the wiring on that connect the module and to check the speed sensors on the wheels. I will be doing that and keep you posted.

veedubmechanic
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
but 1st they suggested to inspect the wiring on that connect the module and to check the speed sensors on the wheels. I will be doing that and keep you posted.

aka there is no "fix" to a bad control module.
aka they took zep electrical contact enhancer and sprayed it on the electrical board for 200.00 and said its fixed.

bumpsetspikeki11
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I had the same thing happen on my 99 Passat. I read thru the forums and found www.modulemaster.com (http://www.modulemaster.com) (I have no affiliation with them). The site provided me instructions to remove the ABS module which took about 45 minutes. I mailed the model to the company and about 10 days later I had my rebuilt ABS module back. I installed it and the car has been running about 3 weeks now with no problems. Since I only removed the electronics part of the ABS module I was able to drive the car while it was being repaired. The entire deal cost me $230 (including shipping) and it warranty is 5 years. The company was easy to contact and they were on the money with the repair! I would definitely use them again before spending hundreds or thousands at the dealer. These guys saved me over $500 on this repair.

bumpsetspikeki11
07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I had the same thing happen on my 99 Passat. I read thru the forums and found www.modulemaster.com (http://www.modulemaster.com/) (I have no affiliation with them). The site provided me instructions to remove the ABS module which took about 45 minutes. I mailed the module to the company and about 10 days later I had my rebuilt ABS module back. Since I only removed the electronics part of the ABS module I was able to drive the car while it was being repaired. I installed it and the car has been running about 3 weeks now with no problems. The entire deal cost me $230 (including shipping) and it has a warranty for 5 years. The company was easy to contact and they were on the money with the repair! I would definitely use them again before spending hundreds or thousands at the dealer. These guys saved me over $500 on this repair. Mike

Conquest272
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I am having this same issue right now only my traction control light (SRS) is on and will go off when the ABS/BRAKE/OIL lights come on and the Tach goes dead. The SRS light will come back on when all the other lights go off and the Tach starts working.

Could this be the same issue or do I have a couple of things going on with the ABS system? ie. module and sensors going bad.

I am going to check the connector tonight and see if I get the clicking noises. I have checked with an OBDII code reader and I don't get any codes.

clinzay
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi Mike, I was just wondering if your rebuilt ABS module is still working ok? My '99 Passat is doing the same thing. Thanks

drewrob40
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I sent mine off my '00 passat to www.cheapabs.com

they rebuilt it and it worked perfectly.

bumpsetspikeki11
03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Been a while since I've been on here. My ABS module (see above entry) fixed by ModuleMaster.com is still functioning great on my 99 Passat. Mike

onldyanne
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
i have a 99 glx 2.8 v6 passat that i just bought with all of these same lights on-the abs/brake light-low pressure light-and the rpm gage doesnt work at all and the temperature gage does work but not when i first turn on the car-it takes a minute. I have checked the oil and its fine, brakes work fine-car drives smooth-i have no clue and just replaced the maf sensor last week and still have codes p1136, p1138, and po455-it was suggested that i change the fuel filter first-but not sure what to do about the other lights

onldyanne
03-24-2010, 01:40 PM
can any one tell me where i can get a temperature sensor for 99 passat glx 2.8 v6? i need the exact name of the part and a part number would be helpful

Franco2112
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
It's called a coolant temp sensor. Your local dealer has them if you're close to one . If not, here is a link to parts.
http://www.vwdiscountparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214028
Franco

rgoeman
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Could the ABS / Brake light problem affect the cruise control? Someone said, If the brake light is on the cruise won't work. I've tried lifting the brake pedal and it worked once, but can't get it to work again.

collaremtigers
02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks to everyone posting on this thread. You pointed me in the right direction and saved me a lot of time and headache. My 1999 V6 Passat started showing the ABS/Brake Light/Fluid Level warning lights. After reading the posts here, I started with the most easy part first - by undoing the harness connector at the ABS control model. I disconnected the battery then I sprayed contact cleaner on both sides of the connector and module contacts, let it dry, and plugged it back together. Connected battery. All the warning lights immediately cleared. Hope this helps others. Sometimes it is something simple.

tzvolk
05-13-2011, 03:02 AM
I've had the exact symptoms to what has been described above. Intermittent and would happen several times during driving 25 miles. When I restarted the car while it was happening I would get:
- 3 beeps with a steady ABS light and a flashing brake light
- after a moment (about 5 seconds) 3 more beeps and in addition an oil level (oil can icon) flashing light comes on
- then no more beeps and steady ABS, and both brake and oil level lights flashing continuously.

I have kept the car running and popped the hood. Tapping on the top connector (the wide one) would cause it to make it go away and then I could bring it back with another few taps.

I have started with cleaning of the contacts as well. I took the controller module off the car anyway, cleaned it with contact cleaner solution, let it dry, and after a while put it all back together. The car run fine few miles now without problems. I even let it deploy ABS on heavy breaking and it kicked in just fine. I am hoping this is it but will post another message if the problem comes back. I'd send the controller for a rebuild then.

Thanks to everybody contributing here.

tzvolk
05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, the problem came back at the end of next day.

And the tachometer does get affected when it happens - rpm readout is at 0 at that time. Sometimes I fee like the state can be induced by turning on a turn signal light (blinker) or by playing with the cruise control switch, which in my case stopped working long time ago. Coincidentally all switches (blinker and cc) are on the same left lever.

Anyway, I will try sending the controller in for refurbishing.

rmcaulley
07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
I purchased a used VW ABS brake module from a salvage yard. I had it installed and took it to a garage to have it reset. I was told that used modules cannot be reset and that i would have to purchase a new module. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!