2HI A4WD vs 4HI vs 4LOW

domvoyer
05-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Hello again,

i wonder if it was possible to always drive on A4WD compared to 2HI. Ive been told it is not a good thing to always drive on 4HI, but i did not ask about A4WD.

Anyways what is A4WD, automatic 4wheel drive? Like, is it going 4WD if it needs it? or is it always 4wheel drive?

And i would like the real definition of 4LOW. Is it that the maximum torque is available at low RPM?

Thanks guys

edbrycem
05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I spose you could drive in A4wd. It would probably consume more gas though cuz I think it locks in your transfer case. when a rear tire spinsjust a litlle, it engages the front tires until they catch up to the rear. in other words, if u r spinning in snow, the front will engage untill traction is gained or the trottle is let off and all the tires are spinning the same speed. then the front tires are disengaged until the rear spins again. 4low will probably never be used unless you r pulling a boat or something out of the water. I belive i was told its a 1to 1 gear ratio, aint got alot of speed but can can pull your neighbors house over to the next lot if you want. lol

domvoyer
05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your reply,
so it is not dangerous for the car to be always in A4WD?, like will it break the truck sooner than if i was always on 2HI?

edbrycem
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't imagine so, I've heard of people using A4wd in the rain, but not so much on a regular basis. its really not necessary unless u know u will need the xtra traction "all-of-suuden" like driving down dirt roads regularly and daily.

rodeo02
05-05-2006, 06:00 AM
A4WD locks in your front axle & causes your front prop shaft to go live right up to the transfer case. Your fuel economy will suffer. So will the lifespan of the drivetrain. 4LO is really only intended for climbing out of the mud, snow or off the boat launch. Try it for a short burst, it's geared very low almost like staying in 1st gear.

Joel

domvoyer
05-05-2006, 09:04 AM
AHHH so this will shorten the life of my vehicule!?

That sucks then.. i prefer the feeling and the handling of the TB with A4WD. As for the fuel economy, it was better but it might be my driving that changed, i will try it again.

THanks

edbrycem
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
sorry if i informed u wrong. i asked the same question when i bought mine and thats what the dealer and service guy told me so thats the way i understood it.

Add your comment to this topic!