2002 Ford Taurus W/intermitant misfire codes

austin4913
05-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I keep getting a P0302 and a P0316 on my 2002 Ford Taurus. It is showing cylinder 2 misfiring in the first 1000 rpm's. This did not happen until the thermostat stuck and it overheated. I fixed the thermostat and after that I kept getting the misfire code for cylinder 2. I changed the plugs and wires. The plug in cylinder 2 was completely destroyed. the ceramic electrode was just gone. After I changed the plug it ran fine for a couple of days and then the damn light again. checked the plug and it was in perfect shape. Don't think it's a head gasket because it does not leak any water, no water in the oil or coming out th etail pipe. If I reset the computer the car will run perfecct (good as new) for about 2 days and then the light comes on and blinks (Makes it run like crap, I think the computer is shutting off fuel to an injector as some kind of safety) After a minute or so the light is on but not blinking and it still runs bad. I found a technical service bulletin that addressed those very codes and it suggested to have the computer reprogrammed with new threshholds. I guess the emission limits were too narrow or something. that may not be the problem though. it just seems very supsicious that i did not have this problem until after it overheated. I am unsure how to proceed now as I can not afford to take it to a ford dealer where things are very expensive. Thanks in advance.

brokenantimatter
05-03-2006, 03:20 PM
They might do the reprogramming for free and if not it shouldn't cost over $200. You have to understand that cars cost money.

KimMG
05-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Have you done a compression test? Have those little pieces of spark plug in cylinder number 2 scored the cylinder wall and allowed an excessive amount of oil into the combustion chamber, fouling the spark plug?

austin4913
05-04-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't think the plug is fouled because i have pulled it out after days of driving and it still looks like new. I have not done a compression test as of yet.

mwt878991
05-06-2006, 07:00 AM
The problem started after you worked on the car.

I would just get in there and slowly and methodically inspect all wires and make sure there is nothing that got disturbed or broken when you worked on it.

Mike
:smokin:

DavidTerrell
05-06-2006, 02:48 PM
my 96 3.0 has developed a simmilar problem. After changing the catalitic converter at about 90 000 miles. I did a full tune up. Changing plugs, cables, etc, but hen after a couple of week this missfire code appeared. I took it to the mechanic and tried, nothing apperar to be wrong so they clear the computer. Three week later again, and again the guys at the garage could find anything wrong. Today, 6 week later, the check engine came on. Have any ideas for me to follow? Thanks so much.

shorod
05-06-2006, 10:00 PM
my 96 3.0 has developed a simmilar problem. After changing the catalitic converter at about 90 000 miles. I did a full tune up. Changing plugs, cables, etc, but hen after a couple of week this missfire code appeared. I took it to the mechanic and tried, nothing apperar to be wrong so they clear the computer. Three week later again, and again the guys at the garage could find anything wrong. Today, 6 week later, the check engine came on. Have any ideas for me to follow? Thanks so much.

Did you get the same code (P0302) and the same code each time? It sounds like yours started to happen following the catalytic converter change and tune up, no symptoms before the tune up? Closely inspect the wires, particularly the one on cylinder #2. See if it is pinched anywhere, rubbing on something, and pull the boots back and inspect the crimp connections and terminal ends. Make sure the ends snap on the coil and spark plugs snuggly. If you see anything that appears suspicious, point it out to your technician.

Also, is there a sequence of events that seems to bring the code out such as it only happens when it's wet outside, it only happens after you wash the car/engine, it only happens when the temperature is above x degrees, it only happens when the A/C or defroster is on, etc.?

-Rod

DavidTerrell
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks Rod, I'll do that and let you know what happened. Take care

Add your comment to this topic!